TheBanyanTree: Every Morning

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Thu Apr 29 03:59:19 PDT 2010

(Eight months have passed since the kittens joined us. I think they will
always be 'the kittens'! As in 'The Kittens Are Hungry' Woodstock tells
us three times a day (breakfast, dinner and supper times) without them
lifting a paw themselves.)

Every morning the Alarmcat wakes us some time between 6 am and 7.30
depending on the season or the amount of light coming through the
windows. The Alarmcat = Caspar the black cat named after one of the Wise
Men, black all over except for the largest golden eyes imaginable, a
plumber in a former life (drinks water by dipping a paw in the bowl and
lifting it to her mouth, sleeps on occasion in the bathroom sink etc)
and terrified of storms - but nothing else. Certainly not kittens.

Backing up the paw lightly stroking my face is a drumming noise from the
laundry and, separately, a bokking/clattering sound from the garden. I
get up, put slippers on and trundle off to the kitchen. The indoor
companions all get dry food. Hills science diet biscuits (senior) go
into Caspar's yellow dish on the freezer, Advance small breed dog
biscuits into Miss Ruby's silvery dish on the floor. Whilst they're
eating I put Whiskas junior cat biscuits into a double blue dish on the
floor. When the Yorkie exits stage right I open the laundry door, the
drumming of paws on it is curtailed and two bundles of tabbiness pour
into the kitchen heading for the blue dish. Woodstock briefly follows
until I put his magnesium free senior biscuits in his green dish and
close the door so he may eat in peace, as deserves the patriarch.

When they've finished the biscuits they all get a little milk though
Woodstock blatantly and Caspar surreptitiously both leave a bit of it
for 'the kittens'.

Then I go outside and liberate the four Isa Brown chooks!

roger