TheBanyanTree: this is what addiction is like

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Mon Apr 5 11:13:53 PDT 2010

For weeks now, my running partner, Tanya, and I have whined and
complained about being dead tired of running. We both have full time
jobs, kids, husbands, homes, yards, and all manner of things that
require our time and energy.  We have things we should be our would
like to be doing on Saturday mornings besides running.  We'd like to
have a lunch hour occasionally instead of running and then scarfing
some food at our desks.  We couldn't wait until this damned race was
over and done with so we could move on to doing other things.

So, we ran the half marathon on Saturday.  It was the hilliest course
I've ever run in my life.  Painfully hilly.  And it poured rain from
mile six on.  At mile ten, when I thought it couldn't rain any harder,
it rained harder.  It rained so hard I threw my arms up and laughed out
loud at the sky.  It was a muscle-chilling 55 degrees, a quite nice
temperature for running if not for the wind and rain.  My quads cramped
up in a way they had not before.  My knees hurt so bad I considered
crying.  My feet, socks, shoes, clothes, skin, hair were all soaked
through.  But I finished at a respectable time for a middle-aged office
worker, with an average pace of 8.7 minutes per mile.  The miles were
going by much faster than that in the first half, and much slower than
that after I took on five pounds of water in each shoe.  Tanya finished
ten minutes behind me.  Although we are not competitive with each other
at all, I was glad to have held my own with someone fifteen years
younger than me.  I figured she'd tromp me good, but that would've been
fine, too.  I would've been pleased as punch for her, and I know she
was pleased as punch for me.

Overall, it was a miserable experience running that race.  The course
was a functional 13.1 miles but it was not pretty.  Parts of it were
grim.  The race organization fell down in spots and I was nearly
clipped by a city bus that should not have been on the course at all.
We were soaked and shivering and hurried home as soon as we finished.
No after-race snacks and socializing.  It was over.  Done with.  We
could quit running.  We were both in pain.

Now it's Monday, and we are both back in the office, rehashing the
whole event with another co-worker, Barb, who talked us into running
the race in the first place.  She is surviving breast cancer and she
wanted to walk a half marathon as proof that she could get her life
back.  She finished the race, too, was deliriously happy with herself
this morning, and we were thrilled to see her so happy.  She is not
only alive but so very alive that she could walk 13.1 miles at a fast
clip!  We should just all go lick our wounds, but instead, we are
talking about doing another half marathon in 7 weeks.  A more fun half
marathon north of Indianapolis that has lake views and crosses bridges
and has music all along the route and seems like it will be much more
fun than the sodden ordeal we just went through.

And the other part of it is that once you spend so much time running,
you forget what else you did with that time before you ran so much.  I
know the hours would fill themselves without much effort.  It's
gardening season and all that.  But while running is not always fun,
it's so...rewarding.  It's something we go out and do just for
OURSELVES.  Not for our husbands or kids or anyone else.  And while we
thought we couldn't wait to be done with it, we are finding that it
just doesn't feel right not to go out for our Tuesday noon hour run
tomorrow.  Doesn't feel right to not have the next goal in mind, and to
lose the purposefulness of our efforts.  Barb and Tanya and I were all
running addicts in the past, and now we have fallen off the wagon and
are addicted all over again.

Julie