TheBanyanTree: Paranoia

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Tue Oct 20 05:06:32 PDT 2009

g'morning, Jim.

I think we all are much more aware of "things" not only due to 9-11, but to
 the media's rile-reporting of incidents worldwide.  Yes, we need to be
apprised of things going on, but the side-effect is paranoia.  Is that man
carrying an umbrella, or is it an UZI in disguise syndrome.  Airport  security
measures have me watching my fellow travelers more closely.

I traveled cross-country by air some months ago, bringing with me, one
small, bouncy Boston Terrier who hated her travel crate. At the checkpoint, I
was asked to remove dog from travel crate, send said crate through the
x-ray,  and carry the dog through the person entry.  After which, I had to
wrestle  dog back into the travel crate, when she really wanted to run about and
make  friends.  But, I understand. A dog travel crate might become a weapon.
They  are right, Dog would have licked persons into a slobbery
unconsciousness.

I used to travel by  train, and found it relaxing and  adventurous.
Sitting by the window at night and watching small towns  dinging by is something
most young folks have never done. It's like the  passing of the Olde West. My
first trip by train was when I was very young, and  my grandparents took me
on a cross-country adventure, and I was allowed to roam  and explore the
train from stem to stern.  It was safe then. It was a  different world.
Today, parents keep their young within arm's reach.

Necessary paranoia.