TheBanyanTree: Travelling well

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Wed Nov 11 16:00:47 PST 2009

Hello, my head's up.  The jacarandas are out, the cicadas sing at night
and pedestrians cross busy streets to gain the benefit of shade on the
other side.

It's summer here in Australia, I have put the socks into storage, save
for one pair to wear on formal occasions where shoes are non-optional.
The windows are open, save when the builders down the street have too
many howling machines.  Life is good.

I am up and down between the top-floor study where I write and the
dungeon two floors down where the microscopes are and the garage is
located where I fashion new gadgets and photograph them.  The Backyard
Naturalist book that I am working on progresses nicely, and the bucket
of grass and leaves at the front door has become a small zoo as I drop
each dish of examined and searched vegetation in there.

Much of what I am writing is about the small stuff that you can find on
any suburban block, because I have the old-fashioned view that we are
losing touch with nature, because kids don't know where to look.  At the
very least, I hope to inform a new generation of children's TV
presenters, but that's another issue.

Two days back, I was passing the front door (on the middle floor of our
town house), and I saw a bluetongue lizard trying to work its way in
through the glass panel beside the door.  It was between the iron
security screen and the glass, and normally, I would have run for the
camera, but I assumed it was seeking refuge from a cat, so I went out to
save it.

There was no cat (or dog), but the lizard's tail had been attacked a
month or so back, and was now healing.  No antibiotic cream needed.
They are about a foot long (this one was less, but would have been more
if the tail had been intact).

Bluetongues are large skinks, up to 40 cm (16 inches) long.  They have
strong crushing jaws but tiny teeth and are both harmless and safe to
pick up when gripped between the fore and hind legs, with the cloaca
pointed away.  They have the neat trick of voiding wastes when picked
up, so dogs get a surprise mouthful that makes them go blech! and
releasing the lizard.  They also make a deadly-sounding hiss and they
flick out a bright blue tongue.

Anyhow, I picked mine up safely, checked him for ticks (he was clean),
and then released him into the undergrowth.  I wonder if he's the one I
released there a couple of months back, after the youngster next door
and I tried to feed him strawberries?  One thing, he wasn't trying to
get at the zoo in the bucket: snails and fruit, that's what they like.

Which was not at all what I set out to say.  I was listening to Julian
Yu, a Chinese-born Australian composer the other day, in a chat with a
fairly prim-sounding interviewer (she's my age, and I know from
experience that she's not *that* prim, but that's what the 10 am ABC
audience wants).

Anyhow, he told us of a composition master class with one L. Bernstein,
and how Lenny called him "a f---ing genius" (to avoid setting off alarms
and filters, I have censored the comment, but he said it in full).  This
on the very middle-class ABC.

That was allowed to pass, and he went on to describe the comment of a
German fellow master-classer.  In a good imitation of a stage-German
accent, he said: "What a pity you can never put that on your CV."

"You just did," said the interviewer, and he agreed.  You could hear him
grinning, I swear it.

That wasn't where I was going either.  I have long wanted a part of the
promenade from 'Pictures at an Exhibition' as my ring-tone.  Just to
annoy people whose phones play pop music.

I was going to use a piano version, but I somehow heard that Yu had done
a rather different transcription, and went looking.  I found the details
here: http://www.move.com.au/disc.cfm/3312 and I discovered that there
was a free download of the promenade.  Have a listen: it's quite amazing.

I saved it, trimmed out a 13-second excerpt, converted it to a wav, so I
can flick it to the MacBook and Bluetooth it to the phone.  There's
probably an easier way, but that will do.  The same file now sounds when
new email arrives.

That wasn't what I set out to say, either.

Oh yes, the 2009 Sydney Sculpture by the Sea shots.  See them at
http://community.webshots.com/album/575485145UVVYlA

OK, that's my warm fuzzy bits sharing done for the month.  Recluse mode ON.

peter

--
  _--|\   Peter Macinnis, feral word herder, & science gossip.
/     \  Inexplicable events coordinator and former designer