TheBanyanTree: Shade of a Guanacaste

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Sun May 3 23:26:25 PDT 2009

Found another tree on my last business trip that I've come to love.

It's the Guanacaste.

We had to make a trip a couple of weeks ago from San Jose to the
providence of Guanacaste to check some equipment installed there.  We
left San Jose around 6:00 AM and drove up over the mountains,
arriving at the Reserva Conchal around 11:00 AM.  On the way up one
of the Costa Rican guys riding with us pointed out a big one that
cast a huge shade over the area where we turned off a main road onto
a unbelievably rough rock-strewn path, a secondary road down to the
Pacific coast and on the Conchal.  "That's a Guanacaste," he said
proudly.  "The providence here is named for it," he continued.  "In
fact, it's our national tree."  You could see his chest swell with
pride as he declared its importance to Costa Ricans.

In Reserva Conchal parrots and iguanas coursed the branches of a huge
tree where we, after the work was done,  took a late lunch;  a lunch
interrupted by  iguanas occasionally dropping down from the sparse
branches of an old, old Guanacaste tree onto the metal roof with a
heavy thud, followed immediately by a wild skittering, a frenetic
scratching of claws on the roof as they hurried off of the scalding
hot surface to the relative coolness of the underside of the roof.

We later sat in the shade of another Guanacaste, snacked on
patacones, chimichurri, gallo pinto and Imperial beer, all the while
admiring the view of the Pacific Coast with its deep blue waters and
islands just off shore.   And then at the close of the day we each
drank a toast with a shot of Cacique guaro to the work accomplished
and to new found friends.

Like the huge live oaks with canopies as wide as their height that
the Seminoles and Creeks prized so highly for their great shade, so
did the indigenous people of Costa Rica with their Guanacaste trees.
And the other bonus to me was their similarities to the mimosas that
grew so abundantly back home.

Yep, from the first moment I laid eyes on one, the Guanacaste had yet
another admirer.