TheBanyanTree: A Different Kind Of Dog Story.

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sun Mar 22 20:46:19 PDT 2009

I have a lot of dog stories, since I am a trainer with a chain petstore,  but
today's was unusual.

They came in with a rescue dog, around a year old, a bit on the thin side;
he was still recovering from starvation and abuse. When he should have been
adolescently insane, as most dogs in his age range, he was quiet, calm, a
watcher rather than participant.  He surely was not a handsome dog, nor  could I
tell exactly what breeds had contributed to his gene pool. Sort of a  Pit,
Greyhound, colliesh sort of mutt, or perhaps some German Wirehair  thrown in. He
was a wiry brindle, semi long-haired, with a long naked rat tail  that seldom
wagged.

"We wanted a little dog," the young wife part of the couple said, "But we
could not resist him."

I stared at the dog. "What was it that attracted you to him?" I  asked.  When
I spoke, the dog turned and looked at me.

"I don't know," the young husband part of the couple explained. "it's like  .
. .like we knew him from someplace."

"Like an old friend we somehow lost track of and then found again," the  wife
finished.

The dog stared at me, his golden eyes met mine. He walked over to me, and
sat at my feet, and laid his head on my knee. My hand went to stroke the top of
his head, as though it had done so a thousand times.

"Hi Jake," I said.

The husband and wife looked at each other.  "How did you know his  name?"
they asked.

"I don't know. It's probably on his enrollment form," I replied.

"We didn't write it down. We didn't know it when we signed up for the
class." the wife said.

I looked at the dog, who still had his head on my knee, and was looking at
me. I checked his collar, and found no name tag or anything other than his
rabies tag. I was thinking, perhaps I heard them call to him as they entered the
class. But, knew that was not so, since they came in quietly and did not
address  the dog. I honestly couldn't determine how I knew his name.

"He told us his name, too," the husband said. The shelter people were
calling him Tiger, but he told us his name was Jake."

"Jake was my grandfather's name," the husband went on. "He said he wanted  to
stay alive to see his great grandchild. But, he died of cancer a long time
ago. The same day we went to the shelter to get Jake, we found out we were
pregnant."

They both looked at me, expecting me to get it. This impossibly bizarre and
weird story.

The others in the class were ready to start.

"I want to welcome you all to  this class," I began. "And, to Jake,  welcome
. . .back."

**************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store?  Make meals for Under
$10. (http://food.aol.com/frugal-feasts?ncid=emlcntusfood00000002)