TheBanyanTree: Fear of Pancakes

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Mon Jul 27 06:48:22 PDT 2009

You are not alone, with the milk or the pancakes.  I, too, abhorred
milk, except as a medium for cereal.  I haven't drank it, other than on
cereal, for forty years, and yet when I had my bones tested, I had the
bones of a person half my age.  I do eat yogurt, ice cream, and
cheese--the delightfully palatable forms of milk.  I was lucky in that
my mom did not foist glasses of milk on us.  She seemed to be appeased
if we doped it with Hershey's powder and choked some down every now and
again.  She was reasonable to think that we'd probably live without it,
and in fact she hated milk too, as do my kids.

The pancakes were another thing altogether.  My mom was onto the whole
wheat trend before whole wheat was big in the Midwest.  (And I still
don't think it's big here to this day, unbelievably.)  We ate Roman
Meal bread, the only non-white bread brand available at the time, and
she made grainier, non-gooey pancakes. Sometimes we'd put applesauce
and cinnamon on them, along with the syrup.  I did fear them horribly
at other kid's houses because I would go in blindly, thinking I loved
pancakes, and eat a big stack of white goo with sticky sweet syrup, no
doubt choked down with an obligatory glass of milk, and that was a
recipe for instant stomach cramps and a bout of sitting in their
bathroom for longer than normal, horribly embarrassed.

I don't order pancakes in restaurants, that's for sure.  Most of the
time they are highly reminiscent of those gooey gut bombs, and even the
scent of that corn sweetener based syrup starts my stomach a-heaving.
But they are my favorite Sunday treat at home, with grainy grains and
blueberries, and either maple syrup or yogurt and fruit on top.  My
kids, oddly enough, won't touch them with a ten foot pole because they
don't like fruit, for crying out loud.  I should force some fruit on
them every single morning...nah.

Julie