TheBanyanTree: Fear of Pancakes

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Mon Jul 27 05:52:26 PDT 2009

I sympathise on your milk, Chris, but like the Pythonesque Yorkshiremen
grumbling "sheer looxury", I feel the need to raise the horror another
notch.

You haven't lived (perhaps I mean died?) until you have eaten ice cream
made with powdered milk that has been reconstituted with heavily
chlorinated water in a dankly hot tropical climate.

After that, you don't think anything's bad any more.

That was my experience coming out of the ranges behind Port Moresby in
1961. We had been working on a survey, and drinking local river water
(which we boiled and left to cool), so coming back into town on the
weekend was something of an experience each Friday afternoon.

I was 17, just out of high school, and doing what they now call "work
experience", but I was doing it in what was then a territory of
Australia, as we prepared the ground for independence.

By the second Friday, I learned that the trick was to swim in one of the
Army pools that was filled with town water, but with the advantage of
added extra chlorine.  After that, there was only the powdered milk to
contend with when you ate the ice cream.

Habituation, they call it.

I never did get habituated to the pythons, though I did get fond of them.

   _--|\    Peter Macinnis            petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
  /     \   Registered quantum tunnelling contractor to the gentry.
  \.--._*   Vendor of used quantum tunnels suited for worm farms.
       v    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~macinnis/index.htm