TheBanyanTree: The Garden in the Sky

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Sun Jul 26 04:47:22 PDT 2009

(There is a Garden in the Sky where the sun shines every day, the grass
is always green and there are paved and unpaved paths for residents and
visitors  to walk or run upon. There is a wall around the garden, a gate
to gain entrance and just inside there is a pool kept full and alive by
a waterfall. The guardian of the garden, a Golden Dragon, lives in the
cave behind the waterfall and during the day suns himself on a handy
rock from where he can watch over the gate.)

    In days long past farmers  in the low land walked their flocks and
herds up into the Snowy Mountains in the spring and brought them down
again before winter set in. Local folklore from that time is adamant
that every year a light snowfall was experienced about six weeks before
the first proper snow was expected and the sheep and cattle had to be
started back then at the very latest. Translated into modern times this
means the first 'real' snow falls about the second week in June and the
warning fall arrives towards the end of April.

Robin and I were living in her house to the north of Jindabyne when the
warning snow fell in April 1996 towards the end of a week. On the
Saturday we went to the recycling sectionat the local tip (landfill) to
see whether they had any timber I could use for making furniture (my
occupation then). As we walked across the slushy ground a very small
kitten with saturated fur and eyes almost closed stumbled against one of
Robin's boots. With an exclamation she scooped the shivering creature up
and thrust it inside her jacket.

At home we cleaned the kitten as much as we could and fed it a little
milk through an eye dropper before introducing it to Lucy, Dinny
(Dylan), Bosun and Spot. We were sure the kitten was male and called it
Albert - how wrong we were! Lucy took to Alberta right away, Dinny and
the two cats tolerated her. So it was Lucy who really raised Alberta and
after a short time we became used to seeing this big dog walking around
with a cat's tail hanging out of its mouth!

 From Jindabyne we moved to Middlingbank nr Berridale to live in a
century-old wooden cottage on a sheep farm. Bosun and Spot slept in the
old disused porch at the back of the cottage and Alberta in the bathroom
which was at the end of one of the verandas. The two dogs always slept
in our bedroom. During the day the older cats were most often outside
unless the weather was bad, Dinny was inside and Alberta spent a lot of
her time on the veranda at the front of the cottage with Lucy who was
chained there except when she was out with us (which was often).

At first we thought Alberta had been a 'dumped' kitten but as the years
went by we were forced by her eating habits to the conclusion that she
was 100% feral pussy cat.  Anything edible was fair game - broccoli,
vegetable scraps, plastic wrapped bread, cheese slices, cauliflower,
mushrooms disappeared as readily as chcken wings and (whenever she was
ill) whatever inexpensive good meat we could buy. Her regular diet was
dried food (science diet) as it is for the others but last year she had
trouble eating this so we took her to the local vet hospital. "She's
broken a tooth and one or two of her other teeth aren't so good, I'd
like to keep her in overnight," said the vet, a young woman. We went
back 24 hours later - they'd taken two teeth out and cleaned the rest
and she was ready to come home. "There's a couple of things I think you
should know about," said the vet. "Like she has a cloudy eye she doesn't
see much out of, a heart murmur and a delicate chest." I nodded. "We
know already, she always has had all of those. She's also lactose
intolerant and her breathing comes and goes. But she also extremely
resilient, very tough. Can we take her home now?"

Very tough and unwilling to give in to anything. A week or so ago she
suddenly began falling over without any warning. Maybe her balance
mechanism was failing or she was having mini-strokes. We kep a close eye
on her to make sure she wasn't in any pain and didn't fall off anything
high. Yesterday afternoon it became apparent she was having problems
breathing and by this morning her whole body was in constant movement to
get air into her lungs. So we took her to the city emergency animal
hospital which opens when all the other vets are closed and asked them
to put her to sleep.

Thirteen years and a few months Alberta graced us with her presence and
she went on her journey with the dignity one would expect from being the
Queen of our pet family, the role she had assumed when Spot passed on
nine years ago. As Robin put her in the cat carrier in the living room
Woodstock (Ginger Tom), Caspar (black cat) and Miss Ruby (Yorkshire
Terrier) all gathered round to sniff her for the last time. Out on the
back deck Matilda (German Shepherd) inspected Alberta in the carrier
before she went in the pen where she stays when we can't take her with us.

(At 11.45 am today, Sunday 26th July 2009, the gate of the Garden in the
Sky opened to admit a tabby cat named Alberta and then closed quietly
behind her. Eagerly awaiting her was a reception party of four - Lucy
the German Shepherd, Dylan Thomas the Australian Silkie Terrier, Bosun
the black and white Tabby Cat and Spot the black cat - who all knew
Alberta from the time she had gone as a kitten to the house in the High
Country of NSW where they all lived together with their carers Roger and
Robin.)

roger