TheBanyanTree: Green World Wonder

Bobby Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 25 17:28:18 PDT 2009

  I'm sitting in my car at the moment, typing on the keyboard of my laptop, waiting out a light rain that falls from a sky pregnant with gray clouds and mists.

  All around me is green.  Deep greens, light greens, in-between greens.  Shiny greens, dull greens, a true verdant heaven. I'm watching nature at work transforming the power of the sun into glorious shades of green. Towering giants using the sun to give life and sustain it.

  Little Bennett is a park with camping facilities just outside of Washington DC and that's where I'm spending my night tonight. I'm surrounded by tent campers at all points of the compass and am wishing for just a little more solitude than I have, but I can't complain really.  Their presence doesn't hinder my view of the green wonder that surrounds us.

  There's something wonderful about being underneath the canopy of huge hardwood trees.  The air's cleaner, the sun's less harsh.  To me, the world always looks healthier when filtered through chlorophyll.

  I've sat here until evening's now fast approaching. Lightning bugs dart through the underbrush and night birds start to call.

  Suddenly, something deep inside me, something that plumbs the depths of the double helices within me, cries out,

  "Eden!"

  I seem to be completely overwhelmed with green world wonder.