TheBanyanTree: Wallflowers and notes

anita at redpepper.net.au anita at redpepper.net.au
Mon Jul 6 16:36:38 PDT 2009

Monique, your post was amazingly timely. Just this morning, I saw, at
the bus stop, someone I worked with in the not-too-distant past, who
proceeded to pretend he didn't recognise me. I'm neither achingly shy
nor confidently extroverted, I'm pretty friendly and generally like
and get along well with people. Therefore, while I totally understand
that feeling of "I really don't want to talk to anyone I don't know
very well right now", I still feel a bit offended if someone ignores
me. And in a work context, having been a contractor in many firms over
the last twelve years and having worked with lots of people in the CBD
of Melbourne, I find it's not uncommon to pass former colleagues in
the street - not all of whom will acknowledge me.

It's something I'm STILL trying to get used to, at forty-one years of
age. I do have to remember that sometimes other people are also a bit
timid about approaching someone they don't know really well and that
if I swallow my fear of humiliation and approach them, it can be a
very positive experience. Or that sometimes people are preoccupied, or
tired, or unwell, or they might have forgotten my name, or can't
remember how they know me - there can be a thousand reasons why they
might not be feeling sociable - as happens with me, if and when I
choose not to acknowledge someone in the street. It's not just that
they think I'm a dag, or boring, or offensive! :0

But when all else fails, I know that I have many friends who love me
as I am, as do my family (generally!), and of course my husband and
daughter, and I think even my step-son, who continues to humour me
even at an age where he could tell me to go jump. That's when I
remember the people who I haven't contacted in a while to say
hello...(Sal!!)

I don't love parties, by the way - I find them hard work, unless I
know a lot of people there.

And Monique, I had to laugh when I read about your friend leaving
notes around the house. I do that too. My husband tells me if he ever
divorces me, it will be on the grounds of harassment by notes. Call it
my control-freak streak. My stepson, though, generally seems to
appreciate the lists I leave him, as he knows I'll leave him alone
once he's finished ticking off stuff.  Even the lists where I instruct
him to a) shower; b) eat 3 pieces of fruit or no pizza for dinner (and
I know exactly how much fruit is in the house); and c) remember to
wash your hands after going to the toilet - WITH SOAP.

Anita
xxx