TheBanyanTree: Death Awaits in My Blueberries

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 3 11:55:47 PDT 2009

The blueberry bushes I planted in the backyard and I have had a rocky
relationship over the years.  I planted two scrawny blueberry plants
that I picked up from the equivalent of a "scratch and dent" sale
back in '98 on a trip to my old haunts in the Florida panhandle.
They appeared to be runts,  haggard, with a neglected look that said,
"Call us Ichabods, for the glory has departed".  They may have been
genetic culls but at such a good price that I thought it worth the
effort to take a chance on them.

I planted them in the dense red clay of my backyard in north Georgia
after spending hours of backbreaking work in a futile effort to break
up that demonic dirt.  I finally gave up and said to myself, "That'll
have to do."  Now, my understanding of the type of soil conducive to
good blueberry production and the soil I planted them in are polar
opposites.  Those blueberry bushes didn't, in my mind, stand a decent
chance of ever producing a decent crop but there they were regardless.

Years passed, and typical of blueberries, their progress in
establishing themselves in their new home  -- especially so with a
"brick" foundation -- was slow at first.   But, much to my delight,
after 3 or 4 years they suddenly took off.  They even expanded their
range with small clones from their roots popping up and becoming part
of an ever-expanding blueberry colony.

After the 5th year they finally produced a welcome, meager crop.
Seeing this progress I was encouraged and spent the money on mulching
them with a generous layer of peat moss.  They liked the acidic mulch
so much that the next year they cast a bountiful crop of deep-blue
berries that were superbly delicious.   The only problem I had with
them from that point was keeping the birds out of them as they
reached their peak ripeness.   At first I was perturbed by their
robbing, but later reconciled it to be selfish of me to not share in
the plants' celebration of life and bounty with the birds.  Besides,
they didn't eat all of the blueberries and, with judiciously timed
pickings, I always had more than I needed.

One day, while doing a pick over of the bushes, while I labored in
the direct sun, I made a discovery that startled me.   The come back
kids of my backyard world, that I witnessed overcome such odds, the
source of pride and joy as I watched them year to year now give life-
giving sustenance, held within their welcome shade a very unwelcome
guest.

He was slick, cool, confident and expertly hidden.  As I looked in
his eyes he seemed to stare back at me with a "What are you lookin'
at?" glare that sent a shudder up my spine.  In an effort to dislodge
him, I shook the bushes, stomped and poked at him with a small stick
but he remained coiled expertly in the limbs of bushes, as if sewn in
them by a fine tailor.   I found myself amazed and shaken by its
audacity and cold-blooded resolve.

My gorgeous blueberry bushes suddenly lost their luster when I
pondered that they now provided sustenance in at least two ways, with
one of those two eliciting a ghastly horror in my mind.  When I
imagined a small bird, like a sparrow or wren,  innocently entering
the bushes in search of plump berries and shade, only to suddenly
find death waiting to swallow it whole,  I became, frankly,
nauseated.   What it would be like for the poor victim flooded my
thoughts.  I pictured one engrossed by the lure of deep-blue berries,
enjoying their taste and then, with a suddenness that took its breath
away,  being violently seized with treacherous, overpowering, razor-
teethed jaws, and, with what little of its very life's breath
remained after the shock of the moment, having that last measure of
its life squeezed out,  until its assassin, waiting patiently with
its victim in its murderous embrace, until it knew that the dinner
bell had finally rung.

Another June has come and gone and my blueberry bushes are bursting
with fruit.   I continue picking them every few days.  I never pick
them though without checking them carefully now for unwanted guests.
I'm reconciled to the matter now, of course. When viewed from afar,
through the lens of life as a whole it all makes perfect sense, but
when initially viewed up so close that day it was a complete shock to
learn that from time to time, death awaits in my blueberries.