TheBanyanTree: Maple Syrup

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sun Apr 12 02:13:04 PDT 2009

While Spring and Winter co-habitate for you in the north, here, it has been
 a chilly, foggy Winter, and a warmer, foggy Spring.  The change is not as
apparent or as dramatic as you have.  Still, I sense the gradual
differences:  My Easter Lilly, that I planted in the ground last year, will  bloom in
a day or two, and the Jasmine which I stuck in the ground near the ham
radio tower (I hope to tear down; it was on the house when I moved in) and now
the Jasmine has filled in all the spaces on the tower from ground to upper
arms,  and is it its fragrant full bloom.

We still are in the drought season, but the weeds know how to take
advantage of any moisture at all and are growing tall in my stunted lawn. My  mower
still needs its Spring tuning and a new blade, so I cannot mow as yet. So,
I have to pull the weeds before they go to seed.

The Cardinals and Mockingbirds are out in force. My yard is ablaze in the
brilliant confetti of flitting Cardinals, and the mockingbirds challenge all
in  their setting up territories, even the lurking feral cats who roam
about. My  poor little canary is outdone by all the outdoor warbling.

Spring break is in swing, as reveling children collect on beaches and malls
 growing redder in the hot sun and learning what jello shooters are all
about. I  tried to go to a movie recently, and found the theaters turned into
party rooms  by teens thinking we don't know it's not all soda in those cans.

Spring also brings out the bikers, motorized and pedal-powered, who think
the roads are for zooming in and out, and filling the ERs.  Spring brings
out a madness and a gladness even here, as we see the last of cold weather,
and  look forward to the wealth and picnics of Summer.  I wish I could go to
the  mountains, and see the Daffodils blooming on my little peak.  I went
last  year, but the gas prices and general economy might have me postpone my
trip  awhile.

I am on the verge of rekindling a relationship.  It was a major change  to
end it in the first place, and will be another culture shock if we get back
together.  We don't change, you see, and we both know what's in store
should we try it again.  Harder this time, as we have gotten used and
comfortable in the way we each live.

Spring will bring changes, either way, snow or no  snow.
recession.