TheBanyanTree: Atlanta's Closed - Revisited

redclay redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 11 11:20:17 PDT 2009

04/10/09
First portion written while in the skies above Atlanta GA
22:45

Left Chicago late today. Our plane's departure was delayed by bad weather in
Atlanta.  Storms were moving into the world's busiest airport and we were held
back by ATC. (Air Traffic Control)

It had been a long day already. I had been up since 4:00 in the morning and by
the scheduled flight time I was already frazzled.

They pushed the plane back from the gate on time, parked us on the "tarmac",
and then about 10 minutes later the pilot announced our delay leaving
Chicago's O'Hare airport and the expected delays we might encounter when we
arrived in Atlanta airspace.  "Not to worry, folks, we've made sure that we've
got a full tank of gas in case we get into a protracted holding pattern over
Atlanta," was included in the pilot's announcement.

After the delay on the tarmac in Chicago (about 40 mintues) we made it to
Atlanta airspace in good time. We were immediately put into a holding pattern,
which the pilot announced.  A holding pattern is a big lazy circle typically
and circle we did . . . over and over . . . and over . . . and over again.
Two hours worth of circling in this manner: we'd come up to the edge of the
storm, a nasty looking wall of dark swirling clouds fraught with almost
continuous lightning flashes.  Then we'd back off of them and make a wide lazy
loop and end back up again against the same angry vortex of  clouds that had,
what seemed to be a million flash bulbs going off inside them.

Then we'd do it again.

By the time the pilot announced that we'd been cleared to make a southerly
"vector" approach to the runways we'd been in the air for almost 4 hours.  I
looked at my watch and thought, "We could have flown from Chicago to Seattle
in less time."  I'd not realized it at the time, but my patience was started
to be stretched thinner than a graphene membrane.

And by the time the pilot announced our initial landing approach we'd burned
most of our jet fuel as well.

So down we went on the vector approach, initially losing altitude in what
seemed like an inch an hour rate.  At times the plane would pass through a
cloud bank and roll, twist, shake and shudder,  dropping what felt like 200
feet in a nanosecond.  Then we'd resume our excruciatingly slow descent again,
trying to dodge cloud banks and other planes.

This continued until suddenly we entered an monster cloud and all hell broke
loose.  For 10 minutes we passed through the most intense rain I'd ever
encountered.  It seemed as if we'd submerged into a lake or large body of
water.   How the plane's engines didn't drown out or loose power with so much
water going in them I'll never know.  There was so much rain, in a continuous
horizontal stream screaming by, that, in the 22 plus years I'd flown business
flights, I never saw the likes of it before.

Looking out the window of the plane, each time the strobe light on the wing
tip fired, it looked like a huge fireworks explosion - all that from the
refection of the powerful strobe against so many rain droplets passing the
wing as such a heavy rate.

We continued on this course until suddenly, without warning, the pilot gunned
the engines and started pulling us up like we were doing a power take off on a
too-short runway, again through powerful sheets of rain, "hellacious" winds
and lightning.  I'd secretly guessed we had missed our landing and were told
by ATC to pass over the airport at the last minute.

After another excruciatingly long period the pilot then told the flight
attendants to prepare for landing -- the second time now in this flight. This
time the plane had a smoother approach but we touched down hard and came in
faster than I can ever remember landing in a plane before.

After a long, long  application of reverse engine thrust and shuddering,
screeching brakes the pilot announced, "Well, I guess some of you looking out
the windows have realized that we haven't landed in Atlanta. We've landed in
Greenville-Spartanburg due to the inclement weather in Atlanta and our low
fuel condition.  We'll be taking on fuel and waiting from ATC to advise us
when we will be clear to take off again and when we can expect to land in
Atlanta.  Feel free to get up and stretch your legs but we will not be
deplaning.  I have asked for ice and drinks to be brought aboard."

Well, there we were on a chockabloc full plane that had been in the air four
hours, that had had at least two rounds of serving drinks and snacks while we
were in the air.  Now we were being served more drinks and snacks, and as one
could reasonably predict, the toilets starting overflowing soon thereafter.

I'd had enough.  I immediately went to a flight attendant and asked if I could
deplane.  At first she said, "No," and I mentioned to her that I didn't want
to get off the plane temporarily.  I wanted off that flight, period.

She asked me to wait a minute and she, wading through all the people standing
then in the aisle, made her way to the cockpit and returned about 10 minutes
later.  In the meantime the captain announced that he had asked the airport to
send a pump truck to take care of the toilet disasters and that we could
expect some relief soon.

When the flight attendant returned she informed me that the pilot wanted to
speak to me.  I then worked my way through the jammed aisles, almost wearing
out the phrase, "Excuse me, I need to get by, please," until I finally made it
through to the cockpit.  I explained to the captain that I had been up since
04:00, worked all day and was tired enough that I did not want to go any
further on the flight and preferred to deplane in Greenville-Spartanburg.
After hearing my explanation and taking my name, he agreed that I could
deplane and I, after what seemed like a hundred "Excuse me's" more, finally
worked my way back to my seat.

In my seat I mulled my decision over again in my mind:  I'd been up since
04:00, worked all day, which was the last day of a week that started the
previous Sunday morning, waited at the airport in Chicago for 6 hours to catch
a flight that was delayed in the air by over 2-1/2 hours, of which more than 2
hours were spent circling and dodging lightning strikes until we landed
finally in the wrong airport.  I was tired. We had no sure word how long it
would take to get refueled, no idea for sure when we could take off again for
Atlanta, no  assurance that we would be able to land then without another
round of holding pattern hell.  I could elect that as a choice or . . .

get a hotel room and, after a decent night's sleep, take a leisurely 3 hour
drive home instead.

"Nope, I'll take the known over the unknown this time," I mused.  And if the
other reason's weren't enough, the thought of being in that packed, silver,
narrow tube for another several hours or more, with toilet backup spilled onto
the floor and the plane full of cranky, worried passengers pretty well helped
seal the deal.

When the toilet pump truck arrived, so did a police escort. I grabbed my carry
on baggage and they led me from the plane to a waiting police vehicle parked
outside the plane.  From there they took me to the terminal.  From there I
booked a hotel and caught the hotel shuttle to the hotel.

As I got to the hotel and was taking my bags from the shuttle, I heard the
roar of a jet's engines at full throttle. I looked down at my watch: 12:10 am
it said.  I looked up to see what was, no doubt, the plane I came in on
passing overhead on its way to Atlanta and I couldn't help but think of an
Arnold Schwarzenegger's line in his "Terminator 2" movie.  I found myself
repeating it out loud to the passing plane:

"Hasta la vista . . . Baby!"