TheBanyanTree: Sorting "stuff"

mg spaceforone at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 10:37:05 PDT 2008

The toys became more than their components when they became family
members.  They are the memory of innocent children and innocent parents;
although we didn't think we were---we were just as innocent not knowing what
was ahead.  Like the scent of burning leaves can call up hidden memories of
camp fires and marshmallows, those battered and beaten bits of fur and
plastic raise memories we had forgotten we had until unearthed by ordinary
circumstances. The toys call to mind PB&J on the chin, warm and willing tiny
toes and fingers, giggles over peekaboo and romps around the living room.
Blankets with dirty corners protected in baggies instantly transport me to
the rocker in the wee hours; no sound in the deep dark of night save the
tiny breaths I'd have traded my own for without a second thought.

The bags in the attic, more the attic of my memory now but saved they are,
contain a He-Man sweatshirt worn daily and books with smudged pages and
echoes of read more! read more! between each one.  Artwork labored over with
tongue out and an enviable concentration and dedication to spray painted
macaroni have their own special box saved for each child.

These were the days of my life once upon a life ago, their memory made more
precious for the status of ordinary at the time.  I treasure those echos and
thank God for the opportunity to have had them, to relive them and for the
foresight to have saved their worldly representatives.

Maria