TheBanyanTree: As long as the subject is ashes....

Theta Brentnall tybrent at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 18:54:05 PDT 2008

My husband's parents are buried in a cemetery on the top of a hill
overlooking the coast south of San Francisco.  It has a great view, but
I never have any sense of them when we've visited the grave site.

My parents were very adamant that they didn't want graves - they both
wanted to be cremated, but when it came to what to do with the ashes,
there was always some confusion.  As I was by my mother's bed in her
last few days of life, we talked about this a lot.  She didn't want to
be scattered in water because she was always afraid of water.  She
didn't want to be planted under a tree because we'd just end up moving
and whoever bought our house would chop the tree down.  And so forth and
so on.  Then she'd laugh and say she didn't know why it mattered -- she
wasn't going to care.  But I could tell it bothered her, so I told her
that I would take the ashes and keep them in my sewing room until Father
went to join her.  Then I'd put them together and figure out what to do
with them.  She liked that idea, so for the next 10 years she was in a
box on the shelf above the sewing machine, where I could have
discussions with her about why the seams on this dress weren't working
out right.  The ashes came in a plain, gray metal box, and over the
years, I found a larger, nicely carved wooden box (at a garage sale -
she'd have loved it) and I started adding things to the box.  Copies of
her and father's wedding photo, pictures of the girls, a piece of lace
from Maggie's wedding dress, a lock of hair from her first grandchild.
It was an on-going conversation, a long good-bye that grew more
comforting for me as the years went by.

With my dad, we had four years at the end of his life to do a lot of
talking, remembering, sharing laughter and stories.  In the last few
weeks, I asked him if he had any ideas about what he wanted done with
his and mother's ashes.  He didn't hesitate - he wanted to be at the
cemetery at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio.  So after his death, I had
several very lovely conversations with the staff there, mailed off the
two boxes to be tucked into the columbarium and got a sympathy card
along with the directions to their location.  An acquaintance was a
little shocked - so far away!  But they aren't far away.  Just the
little left-over pieces of the bodies they shed. And when we go down to
San Antonio some time, and stand in front of the wall where their ashes
rest, I doubt I'll feel them "there" any more than I sense Gerry's
parents on that hilltop.  They are off on another great adventure, but
when I need them close, then they are as close as my heart.  That's
where they are.

Theta