TheBanyanTree: renaissance woman or feminist reject

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Tue Oct 14 21:17:40 PDT 2008

I missed the start of this, so I shall respond to the subject line,
rather than the thread.  I have been off, busy, having a few wins.

Aside from lacking the anatomical requisites, I'm getting a bit old for
the renaissance bit, but I have my feminist stripes.

When my daughter Catriona (but always called Cate) was in pre-school,
she came home, one day in 1981, and asked what she was going to be when
she grew up.  Quick as a flash, I said she would be either a research
physicist or a plumber.

She nodded solemnly, a trick my children seem to have inherited from
their mother, and next day, when the children were asked, she gave her
answer in a clear voice.  One small boofhead of a boy, who clearly did
not know what a research physicist was, let that part pass, but declared
loudly that girls could not be plumbers.

Quite by chance, I was working closely with the Head of the state's
School of Plumbing at the time, so when Chris asked me if that was fair,
I explained that there were eight at the time (many more now), and I was
able to add that I had met two of them.  So when she heard that, Cate
said that yes they could, and what's more, her father knew two of them.

She didn't tell us about that bit, but her teacher did, killing herself
with laughter, but that was the end of it, so far as I was concerned.
My cohort entered the work force with women being paid less for the same
work, but by then, we had won the equal-pay fight (almost) and it was on
to combat stupid attitudes.  To me it was a small blow struck for
equality, now where's the next windmill that needs skinning?

Not so my daughter, who apparently remembered.  In due course, she wrote
up her PhD, and gave us a copy of the thesis, drawing my attention to
page iii. There I read

"Dedicated to my parents, Christine and Peter
When I asked my father at the age of five what I should be when I grew
up, he suggested I be a research physicist or a plumber. In marine
botany I have perhaps found one field where I can do a bit of both."

That was a few years ago.  Here is my daughter today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f04W2qugqfQ

I think I won that one as well.

Oh yes, and she is now officially pregnant, but I will be quite happy to
have another grand-daughter: the older one is already showing mechanical
aptitude.

Call me proxy-renaissance-feminist-at-a-distance.

If you would equality win
Then with the boofheads first begin!

--
  _--|\   Peter Macinnis, feral word herder & science gossip.
/     \  Klein bottle stopper design consultant,