TheBanyanTree: renaissance woman or feminist reject

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Mon Oct 13 06:27:20 PDT 2008

Quoting Jena Norton <eudora45 at sbcglobal.net>:

> The point is, we should all always have choices that are not restricted by
> gender. And really, that isn't feminism. It's  what's right for all people,
> regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, or gender.

Well said, Jena.  That is one thing my family didn't cotton to,
either--gender stereotypes--this pervailing attitude came from my
grandparents and even their parents.  My dad and my grandpa,
especially, never had anything but the highest of expectations for me.
I was the one girl in a sea of brothers and male cousins, and if they
treated me differently at all, I think they sometimes expected more of
me than they did of any of them.  My grandpa sometimes expressed
concern that I would get married and start having kids before I got
through college and did other things.  No worries, grandpa.  And it has
all worked out in the end.  I did those other things, and I have a
decent career that I'm extremely grateful for that has allowed me to
take care of myself and my kids, and now I'm able to discover the
beauty and prayerful meditation of doing simple human work, "close to
the roots" kind of work.  These are the tasks that filled my
grandmother's life, and she always did them with gratitude, purpose and
joy, and I'm able to reconnect with that kind of contentment in a way
that I've not been able to do in the career side of my life.

Julie