TheBanyanTree: After Play

Cecil Talley ceciltalley at adelphia.net
Tue May 13 11:45:15 PDT 2008

At 11:00 PM -0700 5/12/08, TL Wagener wrote:
>Well, it was the best of the times, it was the worst of times.  I can't
>remember either laughing so hard or crying so much in a 5 day period.
>I really am just too old for this.
>
>The play continued -- it got better, with some serious tweaking from me and
>the Artistic Director.  He did his through personal phone calls to the
>very-poor actor.  I did mine in a group with the actors and director --
>thinking the director could chime in and actors could ask questions.  Since
>we're all on the same side.  I thought.
>
>This was Friday night, and, before the Artistic Director, Rich, and I got
>back home that night, he'd received a phone call from the actress, telling
>him "Dr. Mumford is not happy."  Dr. james T. Mumford.   Director, Writer,
>Composer, Actor, Educator, Scholar -- according to his bio in the program.
>  Apparently he was incensed that I did not speak to him first, before I
>approached the actors.  I might have -- if he had seemed approachable at
>all, if he hadn't had such an ego, if I weren't afraid I would rip his
>throat out with a nail file for doing such a lousy job with my play.  He
>thought I "undermined his vision" for the play.  He felt that since I handed
>it off to him for his interpretation, I should just stay out of it.  Or I
>should have called him during rehearsals to let him know how I wanted it
>done.
>
>Um.  The place is called the Bloomington Playwrights' Project.  I actually
>outrank him.  Hullo?  I did not undermine anything -- I overrode some stuff,
>but I had only one more chance to see if the play worked.  I didn't have
>time to coddle egos.  And I'm not only a guest, but a guest of honor.  And I
>sent him 71 pages of script, telling him how to do the play -- I'm supposed
>to call him, too?  I didn't hand off anything.  The point of a premiere is
>for the director to realize the playwright's vision.  Not interpret
>anything.  Christ.
>
>Rich and I talked and laughed about this Friday night at his house.  I
>alluded to it when Julie and Lee wandered the Farmer's Market and had
>breakfast Saturday.  Julie, in her perfect and practical way said, "He is a
>big fish in a VERY small pond."  Yes.  I know.  I guess.   I spent Saturday
>afternoon shopping on the Town Square.  The owner of the luscious jewelry
>store I went into found out I was in town for a show at the Project and
>asked if I were connected to the play she saw Friday night.  "I wrote it," I
>said.  She shrieked.  She'd never been to that theatre before, and she
>adored the play.  A couple of events cited in the story resonated deeply
>with her, her relatives were at the disasters spoken of.  Her father worked
>for an oil company -- as does the lead character -- for 45 years.  I spent
>an hour at the store and she gave me a wonderful deal on an anklet and some
>gold hoops.  She asked for a copy of the play.  She introduced me to
> [...]

Hi, Sidda.

Damn shame that the occasion that should have been a source of joy
and satisfction turned into a nightmare. At least you can remind
yourself that you wrote a great play.

Did Julie give you my message regarding my grandson in law, who is a
drama teacher?  He is Mike Kremer and lives in Fontana. I thought
perhaps he could stage some of your plays. You might like to talk to
him whether or not you two can work together. Just an idea.

Regards and congratulations,

Cecil