TheBanyanTree: The play, the play

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Fri May 9 05:46:52 PDT 2008

Quoting tlwagener at gmail.com:

> The other actor was,indeed "struggling" and forgot many
> lines and pauses and played heavy-handed confrontational villian,
> instead of the non-confrontational passive aggressive paternalistic
> golf buddy.  Buit hey.  I've still the script.  It can be done again.

It was wonderful to meet the lovely Sidda.  She sparkles!  Lee and I
saw the play and I have to say, I was amazed that someone I knew had
written this play.  The story sucked us right in in the first minute
and held onto us through the whole thing.  The whole audience laughed,
sighed, nodded their heads in understanding, shook their heads in
disgust...we were all very *involved* in the two amazing characters
Terri created.  Yeah, the guy lead struggled a bit, but Lee and I
talked about this later, and honestly, it didn't detract us from the
story at all.  The humor, the history, the analogies between what was
going on in 1968 and what is going on in the world now--it was just all
so well crafted.  After talking to Terri, I realized that it had to be
upsetting that the guy didn't play the part as it was supposed to have
been played, that she envisioned and wrote a different sort of
character.  But the story held up even with his awkward acting, and I'm
telling you, it was such a great story.

And hopefully we'll have a chance to get together again today or over
the weekend.  As she said, I can vicariously experience the playwright
suffering over her play, and she can vicariously experience the angst
of getting a kid off to the prom this weekend.  I think I got the
better end of the "vicare" stick, as our Miz Dee calls it.

Julie