TheBanyanTree: The Guardian Angel Theory

Monique Colver monique.colver at gmail.com
Mon May 26 19:44:02 PDT 2008

I just made this particular theory up, so don't blame me if it's not
perfect. I mean, normally a revelation such as this takes years to develop,
but I've done it on-the-spot in real time, so that in itself is a pretty
good record. In fact, it may not even be an original theory, but I didn't
steal it or anything like that.

Our patient is, as if dying of cancer weren't enough of a problem, beset
with feelings of inadequacy because he's unable to do anything for himself,
and we serve him as if he were a grand ruler with lackeys to do his bidding.
His every request is our demand, and we certainly don't mind, it's not a
problem for us, we're happy to do whatever we can, but for him, being
helpless does not come easy. It is yet another problem with this damn
disease, his dependence on others. But I have come up with the guardian
angel theory, and when I tell him how it works, he smiles, and his eyes
brighten.

"We're your guardian angels," I tell him, "and so we do whatever we can to
help you and make you comfortable, and it's our joy to do so, because that's
what guardian angels DO. And later, you get to be OUR guardian angel, and
that'll be even better, because, as a heavenly guardian angel, you'll have
more powers than we do. We, as mere mortal guardian angels, have limited and
restricted powers, but you, as a real guardian angel and not just a
pretender, can watch over us in ways we can never imagine."

It comforts him, this theory I just invented because it is, you must admit,
a wonderful theory. Of course, I don't present it as a theory but as fact.
If I presented it as a theory he'd want to know where I came up with such an
idea, and how can we prove it before we assume it's true? He doesn't have
the energy for that, so I just present it as a fact. As facts go, it's not
bad.

--
Monique Colver