TheBanyanTree: Happy Pie Day

Tom Smith deserthiker2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 15 18:12:22 PDT 2008

Thanks for the lift, Mike!

Beth would probably be thrilled to learn about
Euler's Equation, which many believe is the most
profound mathematical statement ever discovered:

e raised to the power (i times pi) + 1 = 0

This equation is remarkable because it relates
5 fundamental mathematical constants: 0, 1, pi, e
and i to each other.

Beth already knows some of pi's magic, and
i is an IMAGINARY number, e is the base of natural
logarithms; one of these is a "transcendental"
number.. and they all add up to NOTHING!

Reviews such as "The most beautiful theorem in
mathematics," "the "greatest equation ever,"
"the gold standard for mathematical beauty."
"the most famous formula in all mathematics."
"...absolutely paradoxical; we cannot understand it,
and we don't know what it means, but we have proved
it, and therefore we know it must be the truth."
all can be explored at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler's_identity

Cheers
Tom