TheBanyanTree: Spring Allergies

Laura wolfljsh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 08:41:05 PDT 2008

Bunnies.  I love bunnies.  They make great pets, they are clean, and affectionate, and the
one I have now is small and cuddly.

I used to have another one, but he was as big a rabbit as I've ever seen, except for the
Flemish Giant.  The girl at the pet store swore he was a dwarf rabbit.  Uh, no, don't think so.
He finally topped out about 12 pounds or so.  Definitely an "eater" rabbit.  Still, he was a
great pet - until I finally figured out the connection between cage cleaning day and a week of
horrible sickness once a month.  I cleaned his cage every day, rinsed out the food and water
bowls and refilled them, and scooped his litter box.  Once a week, I'd grab the vacuum and
stick it in the cage to suck out the worst of the furballs.  Once a month, I'd dismantle the
cage and give it a proper clean.  Vacuum, wash, rinse, reassemble.  Because of the design
of the cage, I had to crawl inside it to wipe down the floor and inside of the walls.  Two days
later, I'd be sick.  Really sick.  It took me months to put the two together.  We had to find
him a new home.  Well, to be honest, we took him to one of the no-kill shelters, and
hopefully they found him a new home.

That was several years ago.  Since then the availability of well designed, easy to clean
rabbit habitats has increased.  I saw one at the pet store that I knew I could clean without
having to crawl inside.  There is a pull out tray on the bottom, each section has a door that
opens on the front, the entire lid lifts up, and both floor sections come out for ease of
cleaning.  Wonderful!  There were two sizes, a large and a small.  The small one fit
perfectly in my kitchen over the dog crates.  I built a crude table so the bunny hutch wasn't
sitting directly on the crates, and there is room under the hutch now for boxes of animal
supplies.  I love it.

The down side to the smaller hutch is that it required us to be absolutely sure the rabbit we
got would not get any bigger than about 4 pounds.  Impossible to do at a pet store.  Here in
town, the pet store employees are generally students, most of whom have little or no
experience with actual animals.

So, I started looking at the local shelters.  Bingo.  One of the shelters had rescued 6 small,
full grown rabbits from a "bad situation".  I called them, filled out the form, and the whole
family went to meet two of the bunnies.  We chose a darling little Dutch rabbit.  Best I can
tell, the "bad situation" must have been a neglect problem, because the bunnies were
thrilled to have human contact.  They were not afraid of us in the slightest, which made me
very happy.

They told us the bunny was born last March (ah - an 'easter' bunny.  Selling bunnies at
Easter should be outlawed.  They usually end up being abused, neglected, or set loose to be
eaten by neighborhood cats.  <sigh>), so we knew he was full grown.  He was litter box
trained, and had already been neutered.  The shelter rep said she hadn't actually weighed
him, but he couldn't be more than 5 pounds.  We could tell he was small enough to have
plenty of room, even in the small hutch.

When we got him home, we put him in his hutch.  *Plenty* of room!  After he'd had some
settling down time, I got him out and weighed him - 3 pounds, 6 ounces.  A tiny bunny!

Even though he is small enough to be comfortable in his hutch most of the time, we got him
as a pet, not as "cat tv", so he actually spends most of his time in a large pen on the floor,
playing with us and the cat.  Yes, the cat loves him, and not in the "snack" sense of the
word.

Yesterday, I noticed that the hutch was past due for it's montly clean.  I got Toki (Korean for
rabbit) out and put him in his pen.  I asked my oldest son to help me move the hutch out
onto the deck for cleaning.  I opened the lid on it, and WOW - hair started flying out.
Apparently it's moulting time!  I ran back into the house to let the wind do it's thing.  An hour
later or so, I dragged the vacuum out onto the deck and started cleaning the hutch.  It is *so*
easy to clean!!  In 15 minutes I had the whole thing dumped, cleaned, vacuumed,  wiped
down, and reassembled, and didn't get a single bunny hair in my eyes, nose, or mouth.

We moved the hutch back inside, and I picked up the bunny to put him in it.  He was
definitely moulting.  Tufts of fur were sticking out everywhere.  So rather than put him in his
cage in that condition, I grabbed my grooming bag and took the bunny outside.  I spent 45
mintues brushing, combing, and plucking that rabbit.  I must have gotten 5 rabbits worth of
fur off of him!  I had fur up my nose, in my eyes, down my throat, in my ears, down the front
of my shirt, up the legs of my pants, and in my shoes.  I never saw so much fur come off
one animal, and the animal still looked fully furred!

I finally quit getting handfuls of fur off of him, so I went in and got a wet wash cloth to wipe
him down with (you don't bathe rabbits).  He was much happier, at least once I finished
messing with him, and spent several minutes happily licking every hair back into place after
I put him back in the pen.

I was not so happy.  I could already feel my eyes stinging, and my sinuses swelling.  I took
an antihistamine, and hoped for the best.  This morning, my eyes are still burning, stinging,
and itching, but my sinuses seem to have survived the onslaught.  Fortunately, this moulting
thing only happens twice a year, so if I'm carefull, it shouldn't be a big problem.  Next time
I'll remember to take the antihistamine *before* I start in on the grooming.

--
Laura (Wolfie)
wolfljsh at gmail.com