TheBanyanTree: Chillin'

Margaret R. Kramer margaret.kramer at polarispublications.com
Sat Jan 19 06:37:32 PST 2008

Right now, at very this second, the temp is –14.3 F at my house.  I don’t
see the wind howling, but we’re in a wind chill advisory all day.  Of
course, I haven’t felt the wind, because I haven’t been outside yet.  But I’
ll be out there shortly, picking up dog poop and filling the bird feeders.

I really don’t mind the cold weather.  I’m smart enough to dress for it and
that’s half the battle.  I always wear a hat and scarf and mittens during
these cold snaps.  It amuses me to see people running around without hats
and wearing thin little coats and complaining about how cold they are.

I also don’t mind hunkering down in the house.  Ray and I went to the
library this week, so I have plenty of books to read.  I enjoy cooking.  We
have movies to watch.  We have flannel sheets on the bed.  What more could
anyone want on a cold day?

However, my grandsons are spending the night, so we’re going to a waterpark
this afternoon.  Wonderful.  But I remember when my son was at this age
(eight and six) this time of year and he suffered severe cabin fever and
needed to burn off some energy, so that’s what we’ll do.  I’m not fond of
indoor waterparks.  They’re very loud, all that screaming echoes off of the
walls and back again.  And they’re cold.  The water always feels like it has
ice cubes are in it.  The hot tubs are usually so full that I don’t enjoy
sitting in them with hordes of other bodies rubbing up against each other.
At least, the boys are old enough and good enough swimmers, that we don’t
have to constantly follow them around.

We bought a couple of frozen pizzas for dinner.  Then we’ll settle in the
living room and probably watch TV.  Or the boys will use my laptop computer
to play games.  We’ll drink hot cocoa and talk about stuff.  As my son would
say, we’ll just chill.

Bone chilling cold and just chillin’ seem to go together somehow.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net
margaret.kramer at polarispublications.com

I think in terms of the day's resolutions, not the year's.
~Henry Moore
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
7:32 PM