TheBanyanTree: Saying sorry

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Tue Feb 12 08:42:40 PST 2008

I hope you keep posting.  I so enjoyed your comments and  stories.

I have, for a long time, been interested in "healing".  Having been  raised
in a white city with doctors and clinics all around, I knew little  until I
moved out into the rural parts of the country.  The swamp peoples  (I believe
they are descended from runaway slaves of long ago, and a mix of  white and
Native peoples) know all about the surrounding plants and their  properties.  Just
as the Native American in the northern states, the  pains and woods states,
are skilled in being able to use their lore in  healing.

I currently live in a rural area of the south, in which a great number of
circus folk settled long ago, to train to practice their skills, to live when
they were not on the road. Nearby, there is a family with elephants and
camels, horses used in the circus acts and parades, and their houses full of
monkeys and tiny dogs.  Since they originally come from all over the  world, their
ethnic backgrounds are fascinating.  They formed tight a  closed communities,
little people and fat ladies, and roustabouts, and trapeze  artists, and animal
trainers, all within a few miles.

Their religions encloses customs from a dozen  denominations and  sects.
Their healing arts cover the world, from Gypsies, to Arabs, to Asian,  to northern
Europeans, and others.  I raise miniature horses, and one  family always
comes to look over my new foals, to see if there is something of  the right color
and size to fit into their act.  The man and his son with  elephants, welcomes
me to bring any bread or vegetable leftovers form my  garden for his charges,
and he helps me when I need a fence repaired. There is  a famous high-wire
family living with earshot of me, and I can hear them up in  their high wires
stretched across their yard, teaching little children to  balance.  Six
generations under a few roofs. One old grandmother from  their clan cuts my hair,
since she does all their hair when they are on the  road. I love to hear all her
stories. She used to be in the act, but is no  longer agile enough.

  I feel as though I am living somewhere in the middle of the United
Nations.  As it should be. Total co-mingled and cooperative.  The  circus folk and
the local farmers have found a harmony and appreciation out  here. There are
also the newbies (whites who think having a few acres out from  the grime and
crime of the city is the perfect  place to raise their  children.)  It would be
if they stopped complaining about the trumpeting  of the elephants, or the
possible danger in caged tigers near their new  mansions and swimming pools.  Or
of sending their own children to private  schools, because . .well, because.

Anyway, the circus people also brought their combined healing  knowledge to
the community. They have salves and potions for everything.   I use some of
that knowledge in the care of my little horses and other  critters.  I am also
learning , or trying to, the magical or  spiritual side of healing. I have seen
it used and effective too many  times to discount it. It is a fascinating
study. I am starting to have some  small success. I am able to bring some of my
knowledge to other venues, such  as in the little church I attend, where healing
and prayer are used  frequently.  I am somewhat a skeptic, but have no doubt
about the art of  healing. There are times when it becomes very scary. I do
not understand it, I  only know it works.  I will continue to study and learn,
from any source,  whether the circus folk, the Natives, the old timers, anyone.

NancyLee

Awards. Go to AOL Music.