TheBanyanTree: Transition 16

Pat M ms.pat.martin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 19:30:06 PST 2008

Transition 16

Decisions

Yes, I was staying in China! It was amazing to think I'd seen a top
neurologist (military hospitals employ only the-best-of-the-best
doctors--they treat their military very well), had blood tests and an MRI
all in one day for a cost of just over $200 (pocket-change for me, but too
expensive for the average Chinese). I felt very grateful that my family had
'pushed me' to see a doctor here. In comparison, patients wait about five
months for an MRI (covered by BC Medical) in British Columbia, or pay around
$900 for an MRI in a private clinic.

 Now I needed to decide whether to try the Methycobal the doctor had
prescribed. 'Made in Japan' was a definite plus over 'Made in China'.

The following day, Amy said, "What about the medicine? Do you want to buy
some?"

"Well, I looked it up on the Internet and it is also sold in Canada, so I've
decided to give it a try."

Amy and I visited several pharmacies before we were successful in finding
it. One of them also sold traditional Chinese medicines. It was fascinating
to see earthworm-size, live black and white striped snakes in a saucer under
glass. There were dried lizards and other unidentifiable animal body parts
as well as hundreds of jars of dried substances for sale; I wished I'd been
able to read their Chinese labels. Finally, we found a drug store with the
Japanese-made Methycobal and I purchased a box.

When we returned to the college, I checked my email.

"I can't believe it!" I gasped.

"What?" asked Amy.

"Someone I don't know in Hong Kong, a friend of a friend, wants to donate
5,000 yuan toward Zhang Kang's parents' debt. (They'd borrowed 10,000 yuan
from a money lender with high interest rates to pay for Zhang Kang's
surgery.) Amazing! All this from sending out my story."  I sat in stunned
silence for a few minutes; I'd never imagined anything like happening.

Zhangho was upstairs cooking supper. Amy and I pulled our chairs close to
the coal heater and she began studying.

Some weeks earlier I'd loaned Amy, "Chicken Soup for the Soul – Living Your
Dreams 10th Anniversary Edition" and talked to her about the importance of
having dreams and believing they are possible. I said to her, "Dreams do
come true; I'm living one of my dreams right now; I'm traveling the world."

We'd talked for a long time and she told me she dreams of getting a
government job because of the security it offers. She said thousands of
people pay to write the exam but only about 200 are hired.

"Why not try? And if you don't make it the first time, you can always try
again. Successful people don't give up."

A few days later, I noticed several new books on her desk. When I'd asked
her what she was reading, she said, "Remember our talk? Well, I'm studying
for the exam."

While she read a textbook on Chinese law, I tried to come to a decision.
Should I teach in Sanya or return to Lintong? Alice had told me many times
she wanted me to teach for her "forever". My contract was ending in three
weeks and I needed to let her know if I was leaving so she could hire
another foreign teacher.

There was a big difference between my salary in Lintong and what was offered
in Sanya. Because Sanya is a desirable location, I'd be provided with an
apartment but I'd be paid next to nothing. I'd be lucky if my wages covered
my monthly food expenses but the trade-off was living in the tropics with
lots of sunshine and fresh fruit, and access to beautiful beaches. There,
I'd also be teaching for another Buckland private training school with small
classes (I prefer small classes) and only needed to work a minimum of 10
hours a week It sounded good to me.

But I was happy in Lintong, except for the cold. Amy and Zhangho had become
like sisters to me and the thought of leaving them was heart-wrenching. Both
of them claimed they would continue to work for the college as long as I
stayed, but if I left, they were leaving, too. I had become their
'protector' from Alice, and without me looking out for them, they suspected
life would become intolerable.
I waffled for days. One day I'd be certain I was moving to Sanya; the next,
I couldn't imagine leaving my Chinese sisters behind. We had fun shopping
together--Amy and I marveling at Zhangho's ability to get 'rock-bottom'
prices. Sometimes, we put on music and danced together in Amy's room. (I'd
bought them a radio/cassette player.)
In the end it was the weather that decided for me. It started to snow and
the temperature plummeted. Thick ice formed on the sidewalks and roads.
Highways closed for the worst winter storm in fifty years.

Now, Amy's little coal stove wasn't enough to keep her room warm. For
Christmas, I'd purchased electric blankets for all three of us and the only
time we were really comfortable was when we were in bed.

Even with the air conditioner/heaters in my apartment set at maximum, I
couldn't get warm. I think I could have coped with Lintong's climate if the
college and my apartment were comfortable, but I was cold from the moment I
left my electric blanket in the morning until I returned to it at night. I
often thought about the poor; how did they survive these temperatures?

 My little finger's knuckle swelled up and turned purple. It looked like
there was bleeding under the skin. Then, more red blotches formed on my
hands. Was it the extreme cold or a reaction to the Methycobal? I still
don't know for sure, but one of Amy's friends is an army doctor and he
thought it was a reaction to the cold.

When I finally made up my mind I was leaving Lintong permanently, I called
Alice.

"I have some bad news. I've decided I'm not returning to Lintong; I can't
take the cold weather. You've been very good to me (notice, I said 'me'; she
hasn't been good to Amy and Zhangho) and I want to thank you for
everything."

"I'm very sorry to hear that. You know you are welcome to come back and
teach for me anytime. I hope you will consider returning in the spring."

"Would it be possible to get a letter of reference?"

"Of course, you are the best teacher; everyone loves you—the students, the
other teachers, the parents."

"Thank you very much."

Later, when I arrived at the college for lunch I told Amy and Zhangho I'd
made my decision; it wasn't easy.

"Well, I've decided I'm going to stay and teach in Sanya. I'm so happy I'm
going to leave this climate, but I'm so sad that I have to leave you. I wish
I could take you with me."

It was as if someone had died; a black cloud settled over us.

"I can't stay because you want me to."

"In China we have a saying, if you love someone you must let them go," Amy
said. "We love you and want you to be happy."

***

If you don't use Picasa, China photos can be viewed at
http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq

If you use Picasa, you must access the albums individually:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Ms.Pat.Martin/January2008To

http://picasaweb.google.com/Ms.Pat.Martin/China3ZhangKangSStory

http://picasaweb.google.com/Ms.Pat.Martin/China2

http://picasaweb.google.com/Ms.Pat.Martin/China