TheBanyanTree: Hand Check/Cecil

Jan Denke j_denke at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 15 04:41:46 PST 2008

Me - Pickles aka Jan Denke...I'm still here...I'm mostly a lurker and never get around to saying much, but I'm still here and I read everyone's posts...I think I joined the Spoon in December of 1996 just prior to having my first total knee replacement surgery...Wow! That seems like a lifetime ago...A lot has happened since then...

August 15th of this year was a monumentally important date in my life because due to a case of severe pancreatitis, I almost died...By the time the ambulance got me to the hospital, none of my vital signs were registering on their equipment...I was fading fast so the ER people went to work on me...They intubated me and hooked me up to a respirator...Then my kidneys failed and shut down so they had to get a central line put in so they could hook me up to dialysis...I was in ICU for 8 days unconscious and totally out of it for the first 4 days...When I finally came to and could more or less think rationally, I had no idea where I was or why I was there...I had no idea what had happened...I managed to blurt the question out, "What happened?" My daughter was sitting there at the head of my bed so she tried to explain to me everything that had happened to me...I guess it was just as well that I couldn't remember what had happened because most of it was not very pleasant at all...I'm just now getting back to life as I once knew it...It's so nice to be back in my own apartment and have access to my computer again...My two little birdies are really glad to be back home with me again, too...

Cecil, my friend, my thoughts and prayers are with you...I pray that you are able to find peace and comfort in the days to come...

Hugs to Everyone,

Jan aka Pickles