TheBanyanTree: How to Blog

Monique Colver monique.colver at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 14:16:33 PST 2008

The insane world of blogging.

So I've said I'll do a blog a day, a challenge to myself to write something
every day. I do it on OpenSalon, and sometimes people read what I've written
and comment, and sometimes not. Occasionally I'll get an Editor's Pick,
which means . . . I don't know -- an editor thinks it's okay? Whatever.
There are a lot of bloggers, and my chances of rising to the top of anything
are pretty slim. Most read, most commented on, things like that. And as for
the Front Page? That's where they put things they think people should see.

I'm not nearly controversial enough or have enough of a following to get on
the Front Page.

Yesterday my post included mention of how I went to junior high school with
Weird Al, and my brother just sent me those yearbooks. People wanted to see
a picture. So today I posted it, with no commentary, just a "Here's what you
asked for, a picture of Weird Al from junior high." No witty remarks.
Nothing.

And there I am, an Editor's Pick and on the front page. What am I to learn
from this? That the less I say the more popular I shall be? Or that I need
to dig up more pictures of famous people from before they were famous? That
life is unfair? Well, of course life is unfair, I never said it was fair.

And since you too may want to see a picture of Weird Al from his 1972
yearbook, here it is:

http://open.salon.com/user_blog.php?uid=10066

--
Monique Colver