TheBanyanTree: Greek recipe

Laura wolfljsh at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 10:15:03 PST 2008

Back in the late 50's and early 60's, when my Dad was stationed in Greece as a military
attache (I dunno if that's quite right - I'm not sure what he was actually called.  It was before
I was born.  Even so, he still occasionally asks me if I remember such-and-such from when
we were in Greece), part of his duties included shmoozing with the other diplomats.  Mom
was all part of this shmoozing requirement.  The young, handsome diplomat had to have the
beautiful companion on his arm. If you're interested, there is a picture here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/wolfljsh/BanyanTreePostPictures#

With cocktail parties and other functions to attend and give, housework and cooking sort of
took a back seat.  Add to that the time and energy Mom spent on three kids, there just
wasn't enough of her to go around.  So they got a maid.  Mom spoke 'common' Greek, and
could communicate with the locals.  They went through two or three different maids before
they found Eleni.  Eleni became another member of the family.  The kids loved her, Mom
and Dad loved her, and she loved all of them.  (There is a picture of her too, at the web
address above.)

Once Eleni discovered that our family were adventurous eaters, she started cooking
traditional Greek meals for them.  Mom asked her to write down some of the recipes that the
whole family fell in love with.  Apparently, that was somewhat difficult, because the Greek
women didn't *have* recipes, you just made the dish the way your Mama made it.  Nobody
wrote anything down.  So Mom, with Eleni's blessing, followed her around the kitchen, and
wrote down what she was doing.

Here is one of them, that happens to be my favorite.  Now, when you read the ingredients
list, you healthy-eating types don't go running away gagging!  (you know who you are!)
Wait, and I'll give you the modifications to make it a little more heart healthy.

Traditional Greek Spanakopita

2 pounds spinach
1 bunch green onions
1 pound feta cheese (crumbled)
7 eggs
1 pound butter (melted)
1 pound pastry sheets (filo dough)
salt & white pepper

Chop spinach & green onions into a large mixing bowl.  Add cheese, unbeaten eggs, and
season with salt & pepper to taste. Pour 1/2 of the melted butter over the spinach mixture.
Toss lightly to combine.
Place 6 pastry sheets in a greased 10" x 15" pan, brushing each sheet with melted butter.
Top with one baked sheet.  Alternate spinach mixture with three other baked sheets, and top
with 6 more un-baked ones.
Bake at 350° for one hour.  After 20 minutes, pour remainder of melted butter on top.
Cool and cut into squares - serves 20.

First of all, it only serves 20 if you're using it as an appetizer.  They usually cut it into about
three inch squares, then cut those on the diagonal.  Each of those little triangles is a
serving.

If you're using it as a meal it would probably serve 8 little eaters, and 6 big eaters.

Ok, now for the modifications.  I made this this morning.  It is really SO easy.

I did use 2 pounds of spinach, but I used chopped frozen spinach.

I did use 1 bunch of green onions, but that didn't look like enough onion for me, so I added
another cup of chopped onions.  I cheated and used frozen chopped onions.

I used the whole pound of feta.  Yum.

I used the 7 eggs.  Think about it - 7 eggs, 6 to 8 servings.  That's not too many eggs each.
Good protein.

I did NOT use a pound of butter!  I used two tablespoons.

I did NOT use the filo dough.  Way too freekin' much trouble.  Besides, the reason you have
to have all that butter is for the filo!  Instead, I bought a refrigerated pie crust.  You purists
can just hush.  I like the store-bought ones just fine.  It took most of both of the crusts and
some creative cutting and pasting to line the pan.  I don't have a 10" x 15" pan, so I used a
9"x 13".

I did use salt and pepper.  I used a combination of white and black pepper, because that's
what I have in my grinder.

I also added about 1/2 - 3/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese.

So, here's how I made it.

I lined the pan with the pie crust.  I mixed together the onion, cheese and spinach.  I did
make a minor mistake, however.  Without thinking, I cut open the bags of spinach and
dumped it right into the bowl.  Oops.  I should have thawed it first!  It's really hard to stir
when it's in those big frozen chunks.  So I stuck it in the microwave for about a minute, and
was able to break up the big chunks. Then I added the eggs and salt & pepper.  I guessed
on the salt and pepper because I was too chicken to taste the mixture with all those raw
eggs in it.  Once I had it stirred up really well, I poured the whole bowl of wonderful smelling
stuff into the pan.  I patted it down flat with a fork.  Then, because I didn't really want to put
another crust on top, I sprinkled grated parmesan cheese over it.  This is where the butter
comes in, but I suspect you could leave it out and it would work almost as well - I drizzled
the melted butter over the cheese.

It's in the oven now - making the whole house smell wonderful.  I can't wait to eat it.  It's
been a long time since I've had spanakopita.  I don't think I'll wait that long again!!

YUM!

--
Laura
wolfljsh at gmail.com