TheBanyanTree: Blind and Blinds

Laura wolfljsh at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 17:39:35 PST 2008

The blankety-blank expletive-deleted cats have had their way with the aluminum mini-
blinds which hang in the windows downstairs. On one set, two of the slats have
actually been bent backward at a ninety-degree angle to make kitty viewing easier. Of
course this leaves a gaping hole in the blinds, allowing anyone outside to see inside.
This rather circumvents the whole purpose in having the blinds up at all.
So I, without thinking it through, told Larry I thought we ought to get wooden blinds
for the downstairs. Yeah, the cats might chew them, but at least they can't bend them
backwards and leave big holes. Larry thought that was a good idea, and we went to
our trusty Lowe's and picked some out. Very nice, with a dark stain that mostly
matches the paint and furniture. Nice and sturdy, too.
Tonight I decided I would put up the new blinds. This was not going to be one of
those easy exchanges, either. It involved actually removing the old hardware and
replacing it with the new, slightly larger hardware. I forget between times of doing
this what a PITA* it is.
The bookshelves in front of the window stick out just enough that I can't reach the
old hardware without a stool, which means I end up having to actually climb on top of
the bookshelves to keep from overbalancing. The drill won't go close enough to the
wall so you have to take the old screws out by hand. No matter how carefully I
measure, I aways mess up the placement of the brackets for the first set of blinds.
That means taking the screws out, which I had to put in by hand because the drill is
too big to go next to the wall damnit, drilling new pilot holes, and remounting the
bracket.
Now my wrists hurt from having to use the handheld screwdriver on half the screws,
my knuckles are all busted up from the same. The elbow that had major surgery on it
over two years ago is trembling, achy, and actually starting to go numb and is sending
weird numb/painful signals down my arm into my hand because I forgot and tried to
brace the drill by wedging my elbow against the window. My legs and back are
cramping from squatting on top of the bookshelves holding the monster drill, which
I'm using for the screws that aren't actually right next to the wall, above my head .
While all that is annoying and frustrating, what really aggravates me is the fact that I
can't see what I'm doing anymore! If I'm close enough to see the little screws and
stuff, then I can't focus on them. If I back off far enough to focus on them, I can't see
them!
I guess it's gonna be time for those bi-focals next eye doctor's visit, huh? ::heavy sigh::
And I still have one more set of blinds to put up.
*Pain In The Arse

--
Laura
wolfljsh at gmail.com