TheBanyanTree: Consortium Girls gone Wild!

Bonnie Brace bonnie.brace at verizon.net
Sat Aug 30 08:41:31 PDT 2008

I was 18 when I married. He was 21. We were both in a fundamental religious
cult. His background was drugs, sex and booze. Mine was Country bumpkin, New
England never did anything, such as smoke, drink or drug. I wanted to change
the world so when I graduated high school I joined the cult because I
thought they had the answers. I became a Jesus Freak. that is where I met my
ex. He went from Hippy dippy to Hippy Jesus Freak. We met I was 17 a year
later we were married.

Spent 15 years in the cult following their rules, being a second class
citizen (women were emotional creatures and could not really make good
decisions. They needed a man as a "covering") In other words to protect
them. (ugh) When we left it was a wake up call and for 10 years we struggled
trying to adjust to the reality of what life was truly like. I adjusted, he
couldn't. I thrived, he didn't. In the end he decided his mid-life crisis
was to be 19 again.  I guess he never read Thomas Wolf.

It's been 8 years since the divorce. I am glad I am no longer married. I
enjoy my freedom. I make my own choices and mistakes and am responsible for
me. I have a man-baby in my life, but he doesn't live with me and I wont
live with him. I like my space and am perfectly content seeing him on
weekends and one week a year for vacation (his treat) I'm independent NOT
stupid! I'm not going to marry again I got a taste of freedom and frankly I
like having the bed all to myself.

My ex and I are still friends (why waste energy being angry) a while ago he
apologize for all the things he said and did during the separation and
divorce. He realized he had been wrong. He also said he made a big mistake
getting remarried and wanted to know if I would run away with him to
Seattle.  " HELL , NO!"   I said with out thinking. Realizing I might have
said it a bit too fast  I tried to cushion the rejection a bit by adding "
I'm in a really good place right now. I've moved on and grown. Do you
honestly think I would want to go back to what we used to have? I don't
think so."  to which he replied, " I didn't think you would."

I am so glad he's someone else's problem now, I still care for him but it is
like you'd care for your neighbors kids, watch them for a while and when
they are gone breath a sigh of relief and relish the peace and quiet!