TheBanyanTree: Starting School

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Fri Aug 29 06:36:46 PDT 2008

Quoting NancyIee at aol.com:

> When the last
> child  leaves for kindergarten, there are no more babies, and every day, the
> children  move further away, finding new friends, secrets they don't
> always tell you, as a  little child will, and have hopes and experiences you
> are no longer an intimate  part of.

One of the first days of first grade, my son Andy got off the bus,
carrying his little lunch box and back pack, looking just a bit
overwhelmed still.  I noticed that he had on a pair of my socks. I
asked him, "Why did you wear my socks?"  He said, "Because when I wear
your socks, I feel closer to you while I'm at school."

He's still sweet like that, and he'll be 18 next month.

Julie