TheBanyanTree: Consortium Girls gone Wild!

Bonnie Brace bonnie.brace at verizon.net
Fri Aug 29 13:54:59 PDT 2008

I attend a Consortium meeting each month that my organization is a part of. This month, a few days ago, the agency Execs met to discuss the result of the grant allocations from the city where I live and work. Just as we suspected our funding was cut again this year. All ten of us shook our heads and wondered "what's next?"  We weren't even level funded. (For those of you who aren't into grants this just means that what you received last year you get the same this year.) The question remains then, How do we split the money up in a fair and decent manner?

Imagine 10 intelligent, professional, women who run non-profit agencies.Some are multi million dollar agencies, while others are small organizations, such as the one I run, discussing how to divide up this money. Here we are working together concentrating getting the job done coming to an agreement. Not liking it but facing the reality of the situation. It's done! we are all going to take equal cuts straight down the line. 33.3% from what we received last year. ouch, but hey, we managed to figure it out in a relatively reasonable time.All the while the wheels are turning over in our heads on how we are going to have to make up for the lack of funding. What services are we going to cut back, or is there a layoff coming, etc. It's a never ending cycle for non-profits, especially those who have an already small budget to begin with.

On to the next order of business. We go around the room and give a brief synopsis about what is going on with our agencies/organizations. In the 5 years I have been  part of this Consortium I have seen Executive Directors (ED) come and go. They leave for new positions, move, or retire. On this particular day one of our ED is leaving in order to go back "home". Leave New England to go back to CA. Why would anyone ever want to move to CA is beyond me! But we all say our obligatory "best of luck to you", "we will miss you" etc and continue around the table until finally we get to the last ED.

 Now please note that I'm in a room of PROFESSIONAL WOMEN. These are women are leaders in the community. (frankly half the time I have no clue as to how I got in this group.) The last ED finishes her brief synopsis of what is happening in her agency and then does an "OH, and I'm engaged, I'm getting married in February." Where upon she holds out her left had to show off the shiny new rock on her ring finger.

To describe to you what happened next, I still shake my head in amazement when I think about. I sat back in my chair and watched in amazement as 9 women, who up until a few moments before were all business and professional suddenly went "GIRLIE"! That's right, I said  GIRLIE! They got all drippy, gooey and gushy over the ring and the engagement/wedding. And had her tell all about how he proposed. They sighed, (can you BELIEVE IT! ) they actually sighed and put their hands on their chins and  said how romantic!  I thought I'd been transported into some sort of  awful teenage movie and was waiting for someone to start singing about "Can't help Loving that Guy of Mine or "How I love him"  while jumping on the conference table to dance. I could just picture all these ED's dancing on the table singing ...Yes, I have a very vivid imagination and a warped sense of humor (rolling my eyes here, and yes I'm jaded too). Trust me when I say it was a good thing I was at the back of the room and no one was paying attention to me. I had to put my hands in front of my mouth to stifle the laughter that was trying to burst forth from my lips. I watched with amusement as  these wonderful women, whom I respect tremendously, put aside their professional personas for just a few moments, and indulged in a bit of feminine aka "GIRLIE" camaraderie.

As for me, I'm jaded and while I congratulated the bride, inside, my brain was screaming "NO, Don't do it! Just live with the Dude. Think of all the money you will save, especially if it doesn't last." ( See what 26 years and a divorce does to you?) Like I said, I'm jaded, especially when it comes to marriage. But hey, watching a bunch of professional women get all GIRLIE, NOW THAT was fun! I wonder if next month will be just as fun? Guess we will see.