TheBanyanTree: vet visit

Laura wolfljsh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 11:40:27 PDT 2008

I'm taking Ziggy to the vet again today.  The cortizone and cage rest are not working.  But...
I've been brooding on it all week.  I've decided that I'm not going to do major back surgery
on a 10 1/2 year old dog with a heart murmur.  I just can't do that to him.  In my career as a
vet tech, I watched far too many old dogs suffer through that and the following months of
recovery, only to have to be euthanized a few months later, all because the owner thought
they should do "everything possible" to keep the animal alive just another day, or week, or
month.  Just because we *can* do a thing does not mean we *should* do it.  Especially
when that thing may cause a creature unnecessary pain and suffering.  Why would I do that
to him?

He has no loss of function.  The pain makes him stumble and cry, but when he has pain
meds, he walks just fine and wants to play ball and run the fence with the neighbor dogs.
I'm going to find out if the vet has any pain management drugs.  I'm going to make sure that
Ziggy's last days - whether there be a year's worth or more, or only a few weeks - are
comfortable and happy.  I will not confine him to his cage for 20 hours a day.  I will not make
him stay off his beloved bed and couch.  I will not make him be on the leash to go poop.
Yes, I will lift him up and down off the couch and bed.  Yes, I will carry him up and down the
stairs.  Yes, I will crate him at night to make sure he is getting some 'down time'.

Yes, I will cry when the time comes to make the terrible decision that his quality of life has
diminished too much, when he is suffering, not living.  But I have to do it.  I hope someone
has the strength to make that decision for me, should I ever need it.

<sigh>

--
Laura
wolfljsh at gmail.com