TheBanyanTree: Friday Night Lights

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sun Sep 9 16:49:38 PDT 2007

It IS sad that kids these days don't know how to play, unless it's a game
box.  We used to play kick-the-can in the evenings along the street.   My mother
played Red Rover.  We had swing sets and inflatable pools and  roller skates
that you tightened with a key, and we walked to the local skating  rink in
winters, our skates tied together by the laces, and worn around our  necks.  We
made popcorn and played Monopoly or had a jig-saw puzzle on the  dining room
table that we worked on for weeks.

I have a friend whose son only plays video games. Some of the most violent
kind, and the kid is only seven. "It's only pretend," he says, as he shoots
down  enemy warriors, the gore flying most realistically. Then he will get mad at
his  older brother and say something like, "I'm going to blast you to
smithereens."   Nice games.  He doesn't play board games, or run  in the
neighborhood. He has no friends, unless some kid comes over and they play  a video war
game.  That isn't often.

He has no friends at school.  But then, a lot of those kids in his  class
don't interact much. They don't know how.   They do school, then  dash home to
play a video game or watch something on television.  They know  a lot of things,
but know nothing about getting along, having friendships.

Yes,  Sad.

NancyLee