TheBanyanTree: Friday Night Lights

Margaret R. Kramer margaret.kramer at polarispublications.com
Sun Sep 9 08:11:43 PDT 2007

Kids were sweating as they started school this week.  Highs here were in the
90s and humid.  My grandsons had a wild week.  They went from the State Fair
to school and then football practice.  They’re too young to play tackle
football, so they’re on a flag football team.  And they’re on the same team,
so my son and Susan don’t have to split up between the two kids.

We went to my son’s old high school’s football game on Friday night.  It was
the St. Paul City version of Friday Night Lights, which means few people in
the stands, even though it was a beautiful night for football, and little
excitement.

My was son was a good football player in high school, he was the conference
leading rusher, All Conference, and honorable mention All State.  He LOVED
football and that kept him in school when he wanted to quit.

He had a good time reliving his glory days and the boys enjoyed the game.
It was cheap and fun entertainment.  The boys spent the night with us.  The
older one, who is eight years old, loves Hannah Montana and High School
Musical and all those shows on Nickelodeon and the Disney Channel.  So, he
parks himself right in front of the TV and doesn’t move.  Sad, isn’t it?

The younger one (he is six) and I worked on his bike riding.  He still doesn
’t know how to ride a two wheeler.  My son just took off the training wheels
himself when he was four years old and rode his bike.  The older grandson
did the same thing, but the younger one, well, he’s like me, physical
activity is challenging and it takes him longer to learn to do things with
his body.

As the week went on, the temperatures went down.  We went from summer to
fall in seven days.  This morning is quite chilly and it will not get very
warm today.  I’ll make some chili in the crock pot and bake some bread.  The
professional football season starts today and Ray will be glued in front of
the TV and not move.  Sad, isn’t it?

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net
margaret.kramer at polarispublications.com

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can
steal.
~Author Unknown