TheBanyanTree: September 1st, and moving

Monique Colver monique.ybs at verizon.net
Sun Sep 2 17:59:49 PDT 2007

Ah yes, Why Move? That is a good question. For twenty years, it was because
of the military, and with my first husband I was subject to their whims. Not
just THEIR whims, but his whims also. He was never happy anywhere, and
always thought that moving would change who he was. When I would say, "But I
don't want to move, I like it here!," wherever here happened to be at the
time, he'd ignore me and apply for a transfer anyway. Since then, I've made
moves based on being in places I want to be, and leaving places I don't want
to be, and so far I'm still with myself, wherever I go. It's true, each
place I turn up, there I am, all my old insecurities and foibles dragging
along with me, like stowaways. Always the stowaways. There are days when I'd
love to see a new person in the mirror, or there used to be, but not so much
anymore. I'd miss myself too much. This time I'm moving in search of the
traditional American dream. A new house with a yard, and an opportunity to
start his own practice for my husband. A house there is less than what we
pay for rent for a townhouse where we are now, and he can't start a practice
here because of contractual obligations. So we move on, part of our
evolution. And I can still hope for a new me, or if not a new me, at least
an improved me. So far, I have improved. There's always that chance.

  _____