TheBanyanTree: Dreams

Margaret R. Kramer margaret.kramer at polarispublications.com
Sat Oct 13 08:16:20 PDT 2007

Nothing is more wonderful than burrowing myself deep into my bed, buried by
my covers and sheets, and sleeping the deep sleep.  The night's chill air
does not affect me.  I just reach down further and reach for my dreams.

My dreams are filled with an old lover and we're together in our 20 year old
bodies and we feel once again the passion of our youth.  I'm with him in my
dream and we kiss and laugh and then he disappears.  I wake up.  He is not
there.  Where did he go?  I feel the heavy disappointment of not being
fulfilled.  But Ray is there, sleeping maybe with his own flaming youth
dream dancing in his head.  I reach for him and that is just as wonderful as
being with my lover from so long ago.

Fall weather has now arrived.  The heat of last week was chased away by rain
and cold winds.  We haven't had a frost or a freeze yet, but the air is full
of fall promise and color, which makes it easier for me to sleep and conjure
up old lovers.

My house plants are back in the house.  Their summer vacation is over.

Our 1947 bedroom closet is relatively large for its time, but not large
enough to hold all my clothes and Ray's, too.  We have a storage room down
the hall from our bedroom which has a bar for hanging clothes.  My winter
clothes were stored there until this week.  It's difficult to find anything
in the storage room since the clothes are hanging right up against a wall.
So, another seasonal thing I do is move my winter clothes into the bedroom
closet and transfer my summer clothes into the storage room.  Now I can find
my sweaters, long sleeved shirts, and blazers for work and my favorite
sweatshirts for home.

I was able to find my long underwear for the boys' flag football game on
Tuesday night.  The wind was howling and the leaves were falling and the
people were freezing.  But the field was situated so that I could pull my
car into the parking lot and Susan and I watched the game in comfort.  My
car has seat warmers, so even our butts were warm and snug while we watched
the game.

Ray had his PET scan this week.  His radiation oncologist had another
obligation, so he wasn't able to see him, but he called Ray later and said
the PET scan looked good.  That's great news.  We don't want that lung
cancer to come back.  Dead cancer is good cancer.

We have small Farmers' Market which comes to our office park on Thursday
afternoons.  They'll keep coming until the end of October.  I buy some
produce there for just pennies.  I bought romaine lettuce, peppers, and
green onions for $4 this week.  I love saving money on healthy food.

The sun is out this morning.  It's been a while since we've been bathed in
its light.  The low angry clouds of fall were our companions this past week.

We're planning to make our annual trip to the apple orchard with the boys
this afternoon.  The older one was worried about a lack of pumpkins, but
I've seen them everywhere, so I'm sure there are few left in the orchard's
pumpkin patch.

The younger one is worried about Shadow mounting him, which Shadow tries to
do on occasion even though he is sternly reprimanded, because Poochie is the
youngest and therefore, the low one in the pack.  I try to explain to Pooch
that Shadow by mounting him is trying to move up in the pack ranks, but
Pooch doesn't buy it and tries to avoid Shadow as much as he can.  We'll
work it out.

We'll head up to the patch and pick out our pumpkins.  We'll wander through
the corn maze, which is kind of like a scavenger hunt.  Then we'll walk down
the big hill and go to the store where we'll buy apples, donuts, and
cookies.  The boys will get caramel apples.  Hmmmmm, hmmmmmm.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net
margaret.kramer at polarispublications.com

'Tis now the very witching time of night,
When churchyards yawn and hell itself breathes out
Contagion to this world.
~William Shakespeare