TheBanyanTree: All Mixed Up

Margaret R. Kramer margaret.kramer at polarispublications.com
Sat Oct 6 08:34:01 PDT 2007

My body says “cold,” but the weather says “hot.”  What’s going on here?  We’
re almost at our peak for fall color and the breezes should be chilly, not
sultry.  We might reach a record high temperature today.  I’m tired of
wearing shorts and T-shirts, I want to nuzzle into my sweaters and long
jeans.  Thunderstorms are marching over us this morning.  What’s with that?
We should be looking for frost on the pumpkin, not watching our gardens
continue to grow green and bloom brilliant flowers.

I’m out of sync.  I want to begin preparing for winter, but how can I when
it’s so warm?  And summer doesn’t seem to end?

The boys were over the other night.  After dinner, they went out into the
backyard to play catch, and then the darkness crashed around them, because
it gets dark so early in the fall.  The evening doesn’t stretch out with a
beautiful sunset, no, it descends with a BANG!  It’s light one second and
dark as pitch the next.  But it’s warm and nice and summer-like, so I turned
on the back light and listened to the baseball as it snapped into their
gloves.

It’s all mixed up.  I want to make warm soups, but instead I have to keep
grilling so the house doesn’t get hot.  If we keep going at this pace, I’ll
never have to turn on the furnace.  Won’t the utility people hate that?

Well, life keeps moving no matter what the weather.  My company, which
employs over 50,000 people worldwide, will not give us our annual raises
that were due during the first week of October until January at the
earliest.  Now you would think a big company like that would have its act
together and have a few extra dollars on hand to give to their hard-working
employees, but I guess that’s too much to expect.  I’m would bet that the
top executives have made sure their bonuses and pay raises stay intact.
Even though they do little work themselves, they’re the first ones to pat
themselves on the back for a job not well done.

Other news is not good either during this prolonged summer.  Bush is still
President.  The Iraq war drones on with no end in sight.  MN doesn’t have
enough money to work on other road projects while the 35W bridge is being
rebuilt.  Brittney Spears lost custody of her children while she continues
to party herself into oblivion.

Maybe when we finally get the cooler weather and a little snow begins to
ride on the wind, maybe then everything will settle down and not be so mixed
up.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net
margaret.kramer at polarispublications.com

'Tis now the very witching time of night,
When churchyards yawn and hell itself breathes out
Contagion to this world.
~William Shakespeare