TheBanyanTree: Lost another friend

Russ Doden russ.doden at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 20:24:15 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I know I've been silent a lot lately.  Some of it is because of work.  Some
of it is because I'm crawling out of a deep dark hole - one that  snuck up
on me and grabbed me by the heels and pulled hard.  I'll talk about it some
other time.  Suffice to say, it isn't pretty down there and I'm trying to
get out of it.  It's a slow process, but I'm making headway

Tonight I'm turning to a family I know so well, yet I've only met a few of.
A family that shares a lot of what we call life it seems, including the
sweet and not so sweet.  So, I turn to you to talk. To sort out my thoughts,
maybe just to think.  If you don't want to read a bummer just hit delete.
Hell, that's what I've been doing for a long time now.  I just hit delete
because I don't have time now to interact like I used to.  Not because I
don't care - please believe that.

Anyhow, back to where I was going with this.  As a few of you know, I
perform at a few Renaissaince Faires - as Andrus the Bard.  Andrus was born
because of the encouragement of two wonderful people.  Some of you even
remember one of them - Terry Hinley.  Terry encouraged me not only to write,
but to perform - with his unique way of making a person believe in
themselves.  The other person was the first person I was "on stage" with.
Her name was Zoe Alexander.  We performed as a duo off and on for several
years, even doing some nice gigs together.  I played 12 string guitar and
bodhran and played the bumbling idiot to her saucy wench.  She was a
performer who had talent.  A person of Scottish and Cherokee extraction, she
called herself a Celtikee.  She was awarded the title of "The Bard of Glen
Lyon" in Scotland.  Glen Lyon was her ancestral home.  She was also a great
writer.  I tried to get her to join The Banyan Tree, but . . . she didn't
feel like it.  The last time we talked, she was starting to think it would
be fun.  She knew Terry and we sometimes talked about how writers often
don't think they have much to say - or they don't have anything to say and
take volumes to say nothing.  She had a LOT to say - with rare gentle
humor.  Well, tonight when I got home from work after spending some time
with my mom I had a voice mail waiting for me.  One of our "performing
friends in common" Cedric of the Bedlam Bards with whom I now perform with
at The Castle had called with some news.  My dear friend Zoe was in a car
accident this past weekend and didn't make
it.  She transitioned a few days ago.  My thoughts turned to Terry - hit by
a car.  I have others I have lost - hit by a car.  If you would, please take
a bit of time to visit Avalon on Lake Nowandthen at
http://www.renaizance.com/ and if you feel like it, light a candle for her
though you never knew her.  In a way you did though, because you know me.
She inspired me to begin writing and encouraged me.  We didn't visit often,
but when we did, it was as though no time had passed.

Farewell Z, Safe Journey and may you make room for a fellow traveler when my
time comes.

For Gods sake my friends, please be careful in your car.  There are a lot of
idiots out there who are in a big hurry to go nowhere.  Just because you are
in a metal box doesn't make you safe.

It has been a sad night for me.  Thanks for letting me ramble.

Peace,
Russ