TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 221

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Thu May 17 08:18:20 PDT 2007

May 17, 2000007

Dear People I Rely On,

	There is way too much on my plate right
now.  Not that usually, there's nothing on it of
note, but at this particular time, the plate is
more than full.  The sauce is pouring over the
edge.  The servings are all running into each
other.  There isn't anyplace on the rim of the
plate that isn't covered with food, so I can't
even hold this damn plate without plunging my
thumb into the noodles and the gravy.  It gets so
slippery that I'm afraid I'm going to drop the
whole thing.  A crash to the floor, and there you
have it: a plate broken into a hundred pieces,
the sharp splintered porcelain all mixed up in
the food, and the food splattered all over the
room.  It will get ground into the rug.  The
noodles will have to be picked up one at a time,
and the turmeric in the curry will stain whatever
it lands on.  This is a mess, kids!

	There's Meyshe's transition from high
school to college.  Not going to be easy.  He's
used to three teachers trained on his behaviour
and disabilities, thirteen kids with a variety of
disabilities themselves, everything in one room.
Complete comprehension when he arcs out and can't
handle things.  If he gets upset and marches away
from the campus, someone comes to retrieve him.
In college, he will have to rely on public
transportation to get there and back.  Lots could
go wrong there.  A simple altercation with
another passenger could mean a melt down, missing
his stop, panicking, getting lost.  The student
body will be, by and large, a normal or quasi
normal cross section of the population.  They
will not understand him at all, and may not give
him the time of day.  There will be little help
in class.  He won't get extra points for
remaining in his seat, and if he doesn't
understand something, he'll have to ask to have
it explained again, or just go on clueless.  No
one is going to compensate for his autism.  He
may have no friends.  He will have to hand in all
papers typed and printed out on the computer.
And for my own figuring, since the Berkeley
Unified School District will no longer be
responsible for Meyshe's speech/language therapy,
his occupational therapy, his psychotherapy and
social skills group, that's more than a thousand
extra dollars a month in expenses for me, when
I'm going to be trying to get by on maybe four
thousand a month, at most.

	I'm trying to deal with the Regional
Center of the East Bay to provide services for
Meyshe.  And they are a financially strapped,
legally restricted government agency that, I'm
finding out, can't do much more than refer to
other impoverished agencies.  I have registered
Meyshe with the Department of Rehabilitation who
may be able to place Meyshe in a part time job
while he's going to school.  Or, they may not.
Lots of paperwork required to deal with them.

	There are Feyna's troubles.  She's
overwhelmed at school, taking three courses and
having a hard time keeping up.  She's never done
three classes in a semester, and when she usually
did two, she had a tutor to help her with her
focus and her organizational issues.  She has no
help now.  She also has a job selling Cutco
knives that doesn't make her enough money to pay
for her transportation to and from school.  Her
cat is very sick and may die.  We will be feeding
her through a tube, and hoping that she'll
recover.  Her friend, Alex, as disturbed as he is
and as dishonest, will be leaving the bay area
for someplace else after the semester is over.
Feyna will be minus her main support system.  So
much of her time is taken up by Alex that she
will really feel the absence.  Her only friend
then will be Natalie who lives in Walnut Creek,
out through the tunnel.  Feyna is having more
frequent melt downs and is afraid that she will
do something to hurt herself.  We're adjusting
her meds.

	The divorce settlement is going on
forever.  I want it to be over, done, finished.
But when it is final, my financial situation will
change for the worse.  I have money socked away
to buy a house with, but I don't know whether
I'll be able to afford anything in this area.  I
have to stay close to my mother.  She's 87 and
will be needing me more and more as time goes on.

	I need to do my taxes.  Yup.  Haven't
done them yet.  And because of the sale of the
house, there will be a large payment, I am sure,
leaving me with even less money for the purchase
of a house.  I actually don't know what will
happen to us.

	This is stressful.

                                  ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß
                              
                             ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

Meyshe

	There are some people who understand
Meyshe, and some people who just don't know what
to do with him.  Those that get along well with
him see through the childlike behaviour straight
to the soul: an unusually compassionate person
who feels outrage at what the Chinese have done
to Tibet, couldn't stop contemplating what the
Nazis did to the Jews in World War II, cries at
the headlines in the newspapers.  He wants to
save the world from the people in it.  He says he
is a feminist and champions women's rights.  Any
sort of injustice gets him riled up, unable to
settle down.

	He is a walking encyclopedia.  He
studies.  He is always reading.  He has read the
Diary of Anne Frank so many times that I had to
get him a new copy of the book twice.  The pages
were falling out of the binding.  He fixated on
Anne Frank, worshipped her.  I got him tapes of
Winona Ryder reading the Diary of Anne Frank, and
he'd play the tapes as he fell asleep at night.
He listened to them so much that the tapes wore
out and broke.  I got him the annotated Diary,
and subscribed him to the Anne Frank Society who
would send him monthly news.  He said he was in
love with her and drew endless comic strips of
his adventures with her.  He developed his own
character, depicting himself as a goat.  He has
never grown out of Anne Frank.  But he has
branched out.  Unlike typical autistic people,
Meyshe has a wide range of interests.

	His early struggles with language have
somehow inspired an intense interest in them.  He
can decode hieroglyphics, and draws them very
well.  His birthday card to me one year was
written in hieroglyphics.  He translated it for
me, since I never lived in ancient Egypt.  The
autistic piece of this was that he really thought
that somehow I would be able to read it, since he
could.  I surprised him when I asked him to
explain it.

	"Oh!" he said, "I forgot you don't know this."

	He has his two volumes, thick books, of
hieroglyphic dictionaries, and sometimes he'll
bring them with him where he's going, so he can
study.

	Without dropping the ancient Egyptians,
he took up Hebrew.  Feyna, Meyshe and I, all
three, were studying to be Bar and Bat Mitzvahed
together, and it was Meyshe who learned the
fastest and retained the longest.  Our teacher, a
bright light on our lives, would read a word to
us that hadn't been mentioned but once, months
ago, and Meyshe would pop up with its meaning.
We'd all stare at him in awe.

	While he was juggling hieroglyphics and
Hebrew, he asked for dictionaries and books on
Tibetan.  He buried his head in those books for
weeks, and began writing sentences in formal
Tibetan.  He wrote poetry.  He showed it to
Samten, the proprietress of the local Tibetan
restaurant we frequented, and she was slack
jawed.  She examined his writing and said that
she couldn't write as well.

	Then, he decided he was interested in
Chinese.  I got him a huge volume of Chinese
characters, and he put his  mind to it.  He'd
search through the pages, making sense of the
basic characters, then putting them together to
make other words.  He got good enough to
recognize and read simple sentences.  We'd go out
to our favourite Chinese restaurant, and he'd
bring his big book of characters and a pile of
paper with him.  He'd copy characters out of the
book, and the waitresses would hover behind his
shoulder examining his efforts, exclaiming that
he wrote beautifully, better than most Chinese.

	One of the teachers at his school was
Korean and taught him how to read and write
Korean words.  He explained to me, carefully, how
this and that figure were pronounced depending
upon their position among the other figures.

	For a while he insisted on calling
countries by the names in their own languages.
He would correct me.  Deutschland, not Germany.
España, not Spain.  Nippon, not Japan.  He stored
hundreds of words in a dozen languages in his
ample brain, and would draw them out when he
needed them.  For Channukah, I got him a set of
thirty three CDs, each one a series of lessons in
thirty three conversational languages.  He sat at
his computer studying these late into the night,
never tiring of them.  And in between all his
studies, he would rise up, pace the house,
running and hopping, flailing his arms wildly,
talking to himself in a loud voice, laughing,
moaning, totally unaware of what he was doing.

	"Hello, my name is Meyshe Benyomen Shapiro-Nygren.  I'm autistic."

	And some people would recoil, try not to
make eye contact, retreat to some safe distance.
Others would sense the person in there and engage
him in conversation.  He longed for friends, but
didn't know how to make them, nor how to keep
them.  He would interrupt a conversation with a
sudden change of topics, inserting his own
interest into the flow of back and forth, a head
shaking disruption.

	"Meyshe, that's off topic."

	"Oh.  Sorry."

	Then he'd employ strategies taught to him
by his speech language therapist.

	"Speaking of health insurance, don't you
know that Anne Frank believed in women's rights?"

	There are some things that most of us
learn by osmosis.  We grow up around human beings
in our particular culture nodding their heads in
certain ways, arching their eyebrows at certain
times, raising the pitch of the voice when
insinuating doubt, standing no nearer than arms'
length to each other, and we learn to do those
things, read those meanings, understand the
superficial and subterranean messages.  But
Meyshe will not learn it from standing in the
same room as it for a hundred years.  He will
have to learn those things as most of us would
learn quantum physics, equation by equation, law
by law.  And he will have to become adept at it,
or the world and all the people in it will not
recognize him as an intelligent, complicated
individual who deserves consideration and
attention like everyone else.  The world will
just view him as an aberration, something to deal
with effectively rather than someone to interact
with honestly.

	I am his best friend and guide.  His
mother, translator, seer and advocate.  The goal
is for him not to need me any more.  The goal is
for him to take over the job of raising himself.
He is my beautiful green eyed boy.  His twin,
Feyna, is likely to be independent one day.  I
can't know whether he will ever be independent.
But his life doesn't depend on that as long as I
am here.  I won't be here forever.  We have to
hurry.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA