TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 220

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed May 16 10:24:49 PDT 2007

May 16, 200000007

Dear Wandering Seekers,

	It's Wednesday morning, and Mint is still
at the veterinary hospital.  She's getting I.V.s
to keep her hydrated, and now they're force
feeding her, because she just doesn't seem to be
eating.  A kibble here, a crumb there.  Not
enough.  All the lab results are good, except
anemia, which they are taking care of with the
I.V.s.  The ultrasound showed that she has an
enlarged liver, which is something we learned
from the X-rays that our regular vet took about a
week and a half ago.  So they took a little
biopsy of the liver and should get the test
results back today.  No one can figure out why
she stopped eating and what's going on with her
liver.  Feyna isn't doing so well around all
this.  She's got three courses she's taking in
school, which is an overload for her.  Finals are
coming up and she's nearly in a panic.  She has
papers due and tests to take and she's trying at
the same time to support herself partially with
the Cutco demonstration job.  That job is well
suited to Feyna, but it can't pull in enough
money to finance her BART fare to school and
back.  She's intent on having no help whatever.
If she accepts help, then she's failed, she says.
But everybody needs help sometimes.  I had to
call her neuropsych, the one who prescribes the
meds, on his emergency line when Feyna was
falling apart the other night.  And Alex, the
lying friend who is a boy, doesn't seem to be
much help when Feyna is in panic mode.  He
develops his own fears and needs and Feyna winds
up having to take care of him.  I have found
fresh evidence of his lies and have chosen not to
tell Feyna, after ethical wrestling with myself.
It would be most ethical to tell her.  And she'd
be very upset with me for not telling her if she
found out about his lying and then that I knew
all along and didn't say.  But psychologically,
she wouldn't want to hear it.  She's in no
condition to hear it.  And it would set me up as
the enemy.  She'd say she wanted to hear it, but
she really doesn't.  So I stand here watching her
with her panic attacks and deep depression, her
self abusive thoughts and language.  And I can't
do anything.  She just has to learn this herself.
And I say unto you all:  Oy!

                                ÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇ

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

Care and Treatment of the Odd People Out

	Suzanne Dermody's head bent over so she
was looking at her feet when she walked down the
street.  I remember seeing her at it while my
mother was driving me down to my Young People's
Symphony Orchestra rehearsal.  There she was,
travelling on foot down to her house on Florence,
a one block street that bridged Ashby Avenue and
Russell about a block above Telegraph.  We'd
dropped her off there one day after she'd been at
my house for a few hours.  She'd directed my
mother expertly, and when we drove in front of
her house, she'd said, "That's it.  That's where
my grandparents live.  Stop here."

	The fact that she lived with her
grandparents intrigued me.  My twelve year old
mind spun around in some of the few circles it
knew.  Maybe Suzanne was an orphan.  Her parents
had died in an exotic epidemic in Indonesia where
they'd been missionaries.  That was how goyim
wound up in foreign lands, right?  Convert the
heathens with their twenty thousand year old
religions that had served them well since they'd
begun hacking local stones into arrowheads to
snare their supper.  The epidemic swept through
the complex.  The survivors  found Suzanne
squalling in her crib, alive through some
miracle.   Knowing that the infant couldn't stay
there, they searched for her next of kin.  This
is when she was shipped back to the United States
to her grandparents who swore to raise her.  Or
maybe Suzanne's parents were drunks or criminals,
and the authorities had taken Suzanne away from
them in the middle of some orgy, then awarded her
to her grandparents because her parents were
going to spend a long time in jail.

	Her grandparents lived in a two story
Victorian, well kept and neatly painted.  She ran
up the stairs, waved to us and disappeared into
the house.  The fact that she lived with her
grandparents endeared her to me.  I gravitated
towards the ones at the end of the bell curve,
the ones who were shunned by the others, the ones
whom nobody understood.  I identified.  I was the
world's least important misfit.  Who would
befriend these misunderstood people if not I?
This was my way of reaching out to me.

	That is why I took Patty under my wing in
elementary school.  Patty followed me around the
school yard because I was probably the only kid
who was nice to her.  I'd walk her home and go
inside and try to play with her.  Patty was
seriously retarded, and no one else would
tolerate her.  I saw that she had a generous
heart, and she never thought ill of anyone, even
the ones who tormented her.  There wasn't much
that we could do together.  I just followed her
lead.  Whatever she wanted to do, we'd do.  I
caught a cold in the beginning of the school
year.  In November, she was still asking me how I
was.  "Is your cold better?"  And I'd tell her
that it was, never getting impatient.  So Patty
became increasingly dependent on me.  She'd wait
for me every day after school so I could walk her
home.  And I'd do so.  I was pained by what to
do.  My conscience wouldn't let me abandon her,
but caring for her was more than a ten year old
could handle.  I didn't know what to say to her.
I didn't know how to answer her repeated requests
that I give her a big hug.  She wanted a big hug.

	One afternoon, her mother took me aside
and said to me, "Tobie, you don't have to be
responsible for Patty.  Really.  This might be
too much for you."  And I was surprised.  My
mother had taught me about heredity, and I
thought her whole family must be like her.  Her
mother was perfectly normal.  How did that
happen?  The same day, my mother took me aside
and told me that it wasn't my responsibility to
take care of Patty.  She had friends in her
special education class.  I couldn't decide.  I
was pinioned between what was the right thing to
do and what was comfortable.  Not an easy choice.
I chose neither.  Patty stopped following me,
waiting for me.  I wondered what had happened to
relieve me.

	This is the same thing that drew me to
Janet in Jr. High School.  Janet was painfully
shy.  She never made eye contact with anybody.
She never asked questions in class.  She didn't
have a small cluster of friends she hung out
with.  She sat at her desk, her face in her
books, reading, taking notes.  She crept
anonymously from class to class.  She fascinated
me.  Why couldn't I be like that?  Why couldn't I
stay to myself, hide away, lose myself in the
crowd and keep quiet, never drawing attention to
me?  Why did I have to be such a loudmouth,
making wise cracks all the time, raising my hand
in class, commenting on everything?  I would sit
in social studies, watching Janet at her desk,
taking notes, her eyes trained on her binder, her
pen moving quickly over the page.  She would look
up at Mr. Garcia every once in a while and then
dive back down into her notes.  When other kids
whispered at her, she ignored them.  If they
asked her to pass a note, she didn't even turn
around.  She just shook her head, no, and went
back to her work.  I thought maybe Janet didn't
need anyone, least of all me.  But I wanted to be
her friend.  I wanted to be her champion.  I
wanted to save her from her isolation and I
wanted to make her smile.

	We were the two students who got As on
all our papers and tests.  When the homework was
graded and handed back to us, I could see the red
A with an exclamation point after hers.

	"I got an A on that, too," I said to her,
confidentially, "But you take much better notes."

	She smiled at me and looked up.  It was
exhilarating.  "But that's all I do," she
answered me, shrugging her shoulders.

	"That's not true, Janet," and I tried to
think of something else that I knew she did,
anything to repair her, and to keep the
conversation going.  "I'll bet you bathe
regularly."  She gave me a funny look; the smile
returned.  This was a fine beginning.  We were
getting along.

	After a couple weeks of exchanges like
that, I invited her home.  I don't know what
possessed me to do that.  How could I expose poor
Janet to my father?  What would she think of my
lunatic family?  My sister would probably sneer
at her, or hit her.  My father would pull some
disgusting stunt and my mother would stand there,
giving him the eye and whispering explosively,
"Justin!  Stop it!"  He'd say, "What did I do?
Did I do something?  I have nothing but love in
my heart."  Then they'd get into a fight and
Janet would barely escape with her life.

	I gave a speech to my family.  I said
that my friend, Janet, was coming over to visit,
and that everyone should be specially considerate
and gentle with her, because she was very shy.
Don't do anything to upset her.  Don't be
yourselves.  Act normal.  "Please," I implored
them.  "I really like her."

	Dana huffed, "I have no interest in your
little friends."  Daniel said he'd be nice.  My
mother nodded her head in understanding.  My
father disturbed me.  "I assure you, Tobie, that
I'll do nothing to cause your friend any
embarrassment."

	Had I said anything about embarrassment?
The man had a plan.  I went to my mother after
everyone dispersed, and I begged her to rein
Justin in, make him behave.  Keep him away from
Janet.

	"He's not going to do anything," she assured me.

	When Janet came over, I was nervous.  I
didn't want anything to go wrong.  I felt like
I'd led a sweet little fawn into a clearing
surrounded by rabid members of the National Rifle
Association on the opening day of deer season.
Even if my family members wanted to make nice,
would they be able to stop themselves from
shooting her?

	Janet sat on the couch in the living
room, and I sat in the chair nearby.  We were
talking about the atomic bomb.  My mother
appeared on the dining room stairs and asked
Janet if there were anything she could get her.
Was she thirsty?  Would she like some cookies?
Janet shook her head.  "No thank you, Mrs.
Shapiro.  I'm fine.  Thank you for asking."  My
mother disappeared back into the kitchen.

	Dana passed through.  "So this is your
LITTLE friend," she sniffed, and she left the
room.

	Then the doors to the front entrance way
suddenly opened wide and my father thumped down
the steps into the living room.  He strode in,
saw Janet sitting on the sofa and threw himself
down next to her, then re-threw himself closer to
her, so that his leg was touching her leg.  He
leaned his face over into her startled face.  He
quizzed her in a loud voice.

	"Tobie says you're shy.  Are you shy?"
He kept his face an inch from hers.  She
recoiled, leaning hard away from him.  He stared
intensely at her.  "Being shy is a pathological
problem."  She didn't say anything.

	I sat in my chair, stunned.  Telling him
to stop would just encourage him to escalate.  I
didn't know how to rescue her.  I wanted to go
get my mother, but I didn't want to leave Janet
alone with my father.  I stood up and interrupted
my father's script.  "Let's sit at the piano."
She gratefully followed me to the piano bench,
leaving my father without his direct object.  He
got up and left the room.  We sat there at the
piano, and Janet played an etude she'd been
practicing.  She was good.  Her fingers were
graceful and she had expression.  She folded her
hands in her lap when she was done.

	"Play something else," I urged her.
"Please."  I got up to give her more room.

	My father rushed into the living room and
advanced on the piano.  He sat down hard on the
piano bench, next to Janet, and delivered his
speech at close range, right into her face.
"Mickey said I embarrassed you!  Did I embarrass
you?!"

	She froze and answered the only way she
could answer remaining polite, adhering to the
rules of social conduct that my father was
breaking.  She said, "No," barely audibly, and
moved away from him to the edge of the bench.

	He moved his ass in closer.  "I didn't
hear you.  Did I embarrass you?!" he bellowed.
"Tell me.  You can tell me."

	She shook her head, no, again.  He got up
from the bench and marched purposefully back to
the kitchen yelling, "Mickey!  I didn't embarrass
her.  I told you so!"

	"I'm really sorry," I begged Janet.  "I
hate my father.  Maybe I shouldn't have invited
you."

	"It's okay," she murmured.  She became
stiff and nervous and very subdued.  She called
her mother to come get her.  I waved to Janet as
she descended the front stairs.

	She never came back.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro