TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 217

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri May 11 07:27:53 PDT 2007

May 10, 2000007

Dear Members of the Elite Group of the Pinnacle,

	We got over our nasty heat wave here in
the San Francisco Bay Area.  It was frightful.
Well, I react poorly to the heat.  Really poorly.
But there isn't a person in this household who
does well on hot days.  Meyshe and I are the
worst.  The first day of the wave, when I went
outside early in the morning to take Feyna to the
BART station, it was already too sunny and too
warm.  Had to turn the air conditioner on in the
car.  Here I am, slapping the ozone layer aside
so I don't suffer and get heat stroke.  I am the
problem.  By the time the day got going, I had to
hunt in my closet and drawers for something,
anything, light weight to wear.  I have an old
pink tunic T-shirt that I purchased at The Gap
right after the fire in 1991.  It's made of thin
cotton material, and I've worn it so much that
there are holes all over it, at the collar, at
the seams, in the middle of the fabric.  Very
fashionable.  It looks really ratty, but I didn't
frankly care.  I put that on and found a
diaphanous blouse to wear over the pink tunic
T-shirt.  The blouse was primarily to have a
pocket to keep pens and notes in.

	Someone ought to invent a portable pocket
that would be worn on top of any outfit, and
would have ample room in it for pens, pencils,
money, shopping list.  Just the essentials.  Just
sling the thing around your waist, or around your
neck and go out into the world without cumbersome
purse.  But no one has invented that yet, so I
wore the blouse.

	Sandals, I wore sandals, too.  No socks.
I couldn't imagine having to wear socks and
shoes.  I pinned my hair up on top of my head.  I
avoided going outside at all, but there were
things I had to do.  I had to take Meyshe to his
therapist at 3:30 p.m., the peak of the heat of
the day.  And there was no place to park close
by, so we wound up parking a block away.  A block
of walking with my heavy book bag (carrying my
writing supplies and appointment calendar) was
going to be a blast of heat too much.  When I
started to back into the parking place, Meyshe
said, "I don't want you to park here.  It's too
far.  I'm worried about your health."   The heat
had already gotten to me.  I snapped back, "Well
where am I going to park?  There were no places
closer to the building.  I don't have much of a
choice, do I!"  And then, having spouted some
steam, I calmed down a little, apologized for
snapping at him.  He was just caring about me,
trying to watch over my well being.  He takes it
very hard whenever I am sharp with him.  I made
my apology meaningful.  And I felt awful about
it.  That has to count for something, right?
"This was my fault, Meyshe.  You were being
loving and protective of my health.  The heat
made me snap at you, and there's no excuse for
that.  I am so sorry.  You didn't do anything
wrong.  Believe that."  He asked if there were
anything he could do to help me on the walk to
the building.  I said, "Yes!  You can carry my
book bag if you could.  That would really help
me.  Thank you so much."  And of course, he did.

	That evening, it barely cooled off.  Even
though my mother's house is well insulated, the
upstairs gets pretty hot, and it doesn't
dissipate by evening.  So my room was like a
little convection oven.  Convection because I
turned a fan on to circulate the air.  I wore the
skimpiest night clothes I have, slept with the
covers off, the sheets off.  That didn't do it.
So, I hunted for an extension cord, brought it
upstairs and was then able to move the fan
practically on top of the bed, where I trained it
right on my head.  FOOOM!  A blast of cool air
blew directly upon me while I lay there at night.
The next day was a little bit cooler, but the
room hadn't cooled down yet at all.  In fact, it
seemed to have heated up.  Isn't it marvellous
how energy can be stored!  But now, it's been
back to the regular cool temperatures for a
couple of days, and I'm beginning to breathe more
easily.  You know what the kicker is?  The kicker
is listening to the foffing weatherman as he
smiles his big grin and announces what a
beautiful day it is!  In the nineties!  Go get
your beach towel and your sand bucket, a bottle
of sun screen, and hit the beaches!  It'll cool
off in a couple of days, so enjoy the warmth
while you can.  I want to swat him.

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††ŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸ††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
                                         ‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

It's a Miracle, Tammy Faye!

	Feyna had her first serious illness when
she was eight months old.  She'd never been sick
before, not even a cold.  Then one night, I heard
her rustling on the baby monitor.  I went in and
stood over her in her crib.  She seemed to be
lying there quite peacefully.  Suddenly she
spewed a geyser of vomit that sprayed the crib,
me and the walls on the way up, and herself and
the bedding on the way down.  I felt her
forehead.  She was burning up.

	I called the doctor and the doctor told
me what to do.  Put her in a tub of cool water to
lower her body temperature; watch her for further
signs and call in the morning.  Nowhere in all
the instructions was a suggestion that I wash the
puke out of her hair, her clothes, the bedding,
her skin.  It was even between her little toes.
So I drew several baths.  The first was to soap
her down and hose her off.  The second was a
repeat of the first.  The third was the bath in
cool water to lower her temperature.  She was
silent.  No crying, no moaning, not a complaint.
She just sat there in the tub letting me pour the
cool water over her.  A quiet, motionless baby
was foreign to me, even unsettling.  I'd grown
used to constant noise.  There was always
somebody crying.  If it weren't Feyna or Meyshe,
then it was I.  Sometimes, when there was no one
to help me, and they were disconsolate, it was
all three of us, clutching each other,
overwhelmed, riding the miserable waves of
confusion, panic.

	I took her with me to wash the crib
sheets and her blanket.  I held her and let her
sip from a bottle of cold water.  This was an all
night affair.  By daybreak, the crib was refitted
with clean sheets and bumpers, the blanket
smelled like fresh air, and we were both back in
the nursery.  It was time for Meyshe to wake up.
He was his noisy frenetic self, his arms and legs
going all at once, his appetite for amusement
insatiable.  I looked at the clock on the wall.
It was six.  It would be ten o'clock before help
arrived.  Four hours seemed like a very long
time.  And it was.  Feyna, still listless, lay on
her back, sleeping through the predicament.
Meyshe was healthy, no projectile vomiting.  I
was shaky, exhausted, continuing to do what I had
to do.  I suppose there is a sort of physical
override that kicks in when you're a mom, and the
children need you.  Any personal discomfort or
weariness is completely ignored.  You keep going
forward, as if you were rested, sane, strong.
It's got to be bad for your health.

	David stayed home from work for the
morning.  He read his physics papers in the
bedroom.  He came in every once in a while to
check on how Feyna was doing.  Of course, I
resented him reclining against some pillows on
the bed, with important work to do, not giving me
a break.  I think I muttered under my breath.

	A little before ten o'clock, Linda Grey
arrived.  She was a very young woman with four
children, all under the age of six.  She and her
husband were planning another pregnancy.  It made
my eyes bug out:  turning embryos into infants as
an occupation.  Brenda wore long skirts and
boots, blouses with long sleeves and high
collars.  Not too much of her skin was ever
showing.  The modesty was a directive from her
church.  She'd told me about being born again,
how she'd been a bad bad sinner, had fornicated,
caroused, kept bad company, taken the Lord's name
in vain.  She'd been a lost soul, without
direction, without a personal relationship with
Jesus.  Whenever she mentioned Jesus, she added
the parenthetical, "Our Lord and Saviour,"  Jesus
was never without that suffix.  Then, when she
and her husband were busy misbehaving, Jesus, our
Lord and Saviour, came to them and they were born
again.  She was brimming with fresh ardor for her
faith, vibrating with pure belief.  Brenda
belonged to a Pentecostal sect: dancing, talking
in tongues, rolling in the aisles, shouting and
rejoicing, throwing happy fits for Jesus Christ.
It was for Christ that she was popping out the
babies, for Christ that she did her work, thought
her thoughts, nourished herself, took care of her
children, brushed her teeth, paid her bills, said
her prayers all day and all night.  Brenda had
focus.

	She once asked me if it would be all
right with me if she told Meyshe and Feyna, ". .
. that God made the trees and the grass, because
He did, and teach them about the Lord."

	I said, "Brenda, you can tell them that
God made the trees, but they're six months old.
They won't understand you."

	"Can I tell them about the ways of the Lord?"

	"I really think that I'd better be the
one to teach them about religious matters.  You
know that we're Jewish."  I waited for her
response.  I was afraid she wanted to baptize
them, initiate them into some obscure fanatical
Christian denomination.  Their first words would
be, "Jesus," or, the full throttle, the whole
thing, "Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour.  Save
this poor miserable worm.  Bring me forth into
eternal life, through your mercies, amen."  I had
been hoping that their first words would be more
like, "Oy gevalt!"  So I had to watch out for
Brenda's designs on my babies.  She had no
designs on me.  I think she knew not to try to
convert the Jew lady.  God only knows what hell
she thought I'd be going to.

	When Brenda showed up for work that
morning, Feyna was peaceably burning up in her
crib.  David was seated on the single bed that
was set up in the nursery.  He was reading the
newspaper.  He didn't even look up.  His head was
hidden behind the open pages.  I explained to
Brenda that Feyna was very sick, retold the story
of the volcanic vomit, the baths, the
instructions from the pediatrician.  I gave her
an out, offering that if she wanted to avoid
being exposed to Feyna's illness, since she had
young children, she could go home.  But she
decided to slug it out with the germs.  Her
weapon was Jesus.  No one could hurt her.

	I have often wondered what it must be
like to be possessed by such certainty.  Being
raised Jewish, we were commanded to ask
questions, to doubt, to analyze the facts.  All
beliefs would have to stand up to perverse
scrutiny.  Here was Brenda Grey, young, pure,
awestruck, simply believing in what she was told
to believe in.  And she was happier than I was by
a long shot.

	"Can I say a prayer for Feyna?" she asked
me, with an earnestness that transformed all of
her interactions into little holy moments.  I
thought about this.  Whom was it going to hurt if
she went off in a corner and uttered a prayer?

	"Of course, you can," I nodded my assent.

	"Thank you," she said, with too much
gratitude. She marched over to the crib, reached
down in, put the flat of her hand on Feyna's
forehead, looked up at the ceiling and hollered.
"Jesus, Lord and Saviour.  You know this child
better than any of us.  Bless this child and make
her well!  Deliver her from the throes of this
evil sickness.  Oh Jesus, our Lord and Saviour,
have mercy upon this helpless child.  Bring her
into your holy presence, guide her to you.  Oh
help this . . . "

	This went on for a while.  It was noisy.
It was shocking.  It was not what I had expected.
I didn't know whether I should drag Brenda away
from the crib or just let her knock herself out.
I looked over at David behind his newspaper.  The
bold headline was screaming about the old Jimmy
Bakker scandal.  This was a televangelist who'd
bilked his faithful out of millions of holy
dollars and bribed a female employee with
$265,000 to keep quiet about their holy affair.
It had been a big, loud story.  And it was great
background for Brenda's born again prayer.

	David lowered the newspaper so that his
eyes were showing.  He wiggled his eyebrows at
me.  I smiled back, wiggling my own eyebrows.

	Tammy Faye, come get your husband.  Tammy
Faye, please come pick up your husband.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA