TheBanyanTree: My Stint As A Horse Show Judge

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sun May 6 19:39:26 PDT 2007

Yesterday (Saturday) was this area's first "Liberty Only" horse show.   It
was for 4-H children and youth who train and show their Miniature Horses in
Florida. I was invited to judge.

They are NOT ponies, but horses bred down to Miniature size. They are tiny
dancers, little power-houses, small packages of dynamite and love and all under
 three feet tall. Liberty is a class where one Miniature Horse at a time is
set  loose in the show arena, to show off its style, animation, and gaits set
to  music, and the ability of the young 4-H handler to still control the animal
even  when it was at liberty.  Each competitor gets 1 and 1/2 minutes of
"liberty" time, and another minute to catch and re-halter the horse, and lead it
calmly from the arena.

What you want is a horse that gallops proudly, trots freely, capers and
bucks and shows spirit and animation to music, and the young handler to keep the
horse moving, and then to gather and take control again when the music  stops.

There were six classes, of five to eight contestants each, so it took most
of the afternoon.  ALL were able to catch their charges at the end of their
turn, and the competition was tight.  It was a tie between a black and  white
pinto stallion who was the epitome of a powerful wild mustang, with head
tossing spirit and arrogant style,  a more refined, steel-grey stallion who  seemed
to float above the ground with grace and royal bearing, and a very  feminine
little red mare who was a real beauty queen. I was hard-pressed to name  the
Champion.

It was so exciting to watch these youngsters and their tiny horses, all
impeccably groomed and well-trained. The 4-H "Mini-Hooves" horse club has done a
superb job in teaching and encouraging these kids.
I was hot and dusty after my afternoon judging, but I was so proud of these
kids.

They all wanted to know when the next show might be. I hope they ask me to
judge again.