TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 189

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Mar 26 07:33:40 PDT 2007

March 26, 2000000000007

Dear Longing Throng,

	Through Jdate (Jewish dating service on
the internet) I have met a handful of men whom I
would all categorize under the heading of, "No
Soap".  The correspondence segment always worked
rather well, except for one fellow who insisted
on meeting before the mutual discovery of trading
e-mails.  He was twenty years my senior, and when
we met, we met in a  diner in Berkeley where the
politics are famous for radical, and all the
owners and waitresses are
gay/lesbian/transsexual.  All through the chat
which lasted an hour and a half, my new friend
bragged about his involvement in the weapons
invention trade, and was especially proud of his
having come up with the idea to arm missiles with
multiple warheads.  The heads turned in that
restaurant.  It all went to reinforce my idea
that one should correspond first, and later maybe
meet for coffee only at some place close to my
home where I can run away on my shoes if things
don't go right.

	Now, I'm corresponding with a fellow who
was born in 1928 (why do the older ones go for
me?).  This is just eight years younger than my
mother, who just turned 87.  But this guy seems
to be a live wire.  He is taking a Shamanistic
training course, a three year course that will be
over this June.  He's still working, in computer
software invention (I think).  He's been invited
to Frankfurt, Germany to take part in a
convergence of Jews and Germans who are going to
discuss the happenings of the second world war.
From the copy of the invitation to Frankfurt that
he sent me, I gathered that he was born and
raised in Germany, and escaped via
Kindertransport to the U.K. when he was a little
boy, along with his sister.  He makes plans to do
things years in the future, and looks forward to
celebrating his 80th birthday in November of
2008.  In his e-mails, he is compelling and
intelligent, inventive and comic.  And he's also
78 years old.  Still, he's the most interesting
geezo I've come across yet on Jdate.  I think
I'll write to him, but I don't know whether I
should go any further than that.  I'm the spring
chicken, going to be 60 in July.  I've got my
whole life ahead of me, as does everyone if you
look at it that way.

                             ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß

ºººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººº

Cohabitation

	Arthur and I moved in together because my
father kicked me out of the house.  He was
ranting about how Arthur was a murderer, stealing
his daughter and taking what was most valuable
from her.  He made him out to be some vile
kidnapper, or more likely, a rapist.  This was
odd, because at the time, I was still billing
myself as a virgin.  I told no one that I'd had
sex with Arthur.  Only part of that was for
everyone else's benefit.  Part of it was for my
own, not wanting to admit the depths to which I'd
sunk.  I was not happy with having slept with
Arthur.  I suspected myself of being sex crazed,
because I had even wanted it.  I know, strange
thought patterns for a woman of nineteen who
should have been at the start of a long glorious
career as a sexually active celebrant of life.  I
played the cello as if I knew what sex was all
about.  How could I do that?  It was perhaps a
masquerade.

	My father's tirade against Arthur was one
of territory.  He saw that his daughter was
removing herself from his orbit and would soon no
longer be his personal object, a piece of a soft
sex toy for him to diddle with.  So he accused
Arthur of all these things, called me a whore and
shrieked at me to get out of his house.  No such
scene took place with my sister.  She was vocal,
even obnoxious about her sexual awakening,
letting on to the family in a conspiratorial tone
that she'd been caught sleeping overnight at her
boyfriend's cooperative along with several other
of her co-opmates at Stebbins Hall.  We were all
supposed to remain motionless, in awe of her
revelation.  My father did not shout at her, nor
call her beaux, Eric, an assassin.  Dana got
entirely different treatment than I did.  Still a
virgin, I was the slut.  He really didn't like
his plaything, his property, being seduced away.
And that's part of what made me ashamed of having
had sex with Arthur, that it in some way
validated my father's role in my sexuality.

	So, outside the front door, with no place
to come back to, I sought safe harbor in Arthur.
That's when we decided to move in together.  I
remember sitting down at the table with a piece
of lined paper and a pencil, recalling all the
hideous arithmetic I'd suffered through in
elementary school.  I set about figuring a
budget.  How were we going to make it on the
money we had?  Arthur had a part time job through
the University.  He worked in the archives
department for the Registrar, filing things away
and pulling things out, filing things away and
pulling things out.  It was a circular sort of
job, and it must have lent some nominal meaning
to his pointless life.  He endured it.  I would
drop in on him at times, sit up on the table
along with his stack of, "To be filed".  I'd
cheer him on, and make big eyes at him.  The pay
was not great, and he didn't bring in much, but I
noted the amount at the head of his column and
moved over to my column.  I had no part time job
anywhere.  I was entirely supported by my
parents, and took it completely for granted.  But
after the great eruption in which I was thrown
clear from my parents' house, I had to call my
mother to make sure I was still going to get my
monthly stipend.  She said yes, but begged me to
come home.  She was sure she could speak to my
father about it, bring him around.  I told her
that Arthur and I were going to move in together
and that I was working out a budget.

	At the head of my column, I wrote down my
monthly pay for being a daughter, keeping the
family secrets, making sure the beans were
unspilled.  Dysfunctional families can't afford
any leaks.  We run a much tighter ship than the
White House.  After I combined the two incomes, I
set to work noting every expense that we would
have.  I was thorough.  I was obsessive.  I got
it down to details such as figuring out how many
pint sized jars of mayonnaise we would use in a
month, how many sandwiches from how many loaves
of bread.  I didn't allow for any nights out on
the town, but I was careful to list an allowance
for pens and pencils, erasers, stamps and
bandaids.  Just how many bandaids would we use
every month and how much did a box of bandaids
cost?  What size bandaids?  What sort of bruises
or cuts might we sustain, and how many in a month?

	When I was done, I added up all the
expenses and subtracted it from the total income.
We couldn't make it.  I scrimped on the bandaids
and mayonnaise.  We still couldn't make it.  I
tossed the figures around for a while, and still
came up negative.  Still, we were going to do
this, so I disregarded my calculations, deemed
them neurotic and we went out to find an
apartment.

	The day we moved in, Arthur told me he
didn't love me any more.  I sat on a box,
stunned, and dumbly wept into my fists.

	"What will we do?" I cried.

	"Let's go to bed.  Maybe I'll feel better in the morning."

	And he did.  He felt better for several
weeks, but I was now on my guard, on high alert.
I closed down my heart, and turned away from him
while I longed for him.  He kept me on my toes
with, "I love you," "I don't love you," "Let's
get married," "Let's split up."  The honeymoon,
which had never begun, was over.  We were
stuttering to a finish.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA