TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 188

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Mar 25 10:23:08 PDT 2007

March 25, 2000000000007

Dear Friends of the atmosphere,

	We prevented my mother from doing any
work during the party, but after everyone left,
she sneaked around cleaning things.  I was
already in bed, having left the party early,
because I was just too exhausted.  I saw that I
wasn't contributing to the conversation, and I
was just counting the minutes before I could slip
away and crawl into bed.  This morning, I came
downstairs, and the evidence that my mother had
been busy was everywhere.  She apologized, said
she felt energetic last night and just had to
clean up.  These compulsions.  I think she's
where I got it from.  Have to be helping.  Have
to be doing.  Can't sit still.  That's part of
what shpilchas is.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
                     SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Growing up with WWIII

	All the time I was growing up, I was fed
the frightening information that my country had
an enemy.  It was the communists.  They were the
Russians and the Chinese, but mostly the
Russians.  Evil incarnate.  They were bent on
war, and had all their missiles aimed at the
cities in the United States.  Nowhere was safe.
Nowhere was safe because as we read and heard and
watched on television, an atomic bomb did not
just destroy the vicinity in which it was
dropped, it destroyed everything for tens of
miles, and beyond that, the radiation would kill
you.  If enough atomic bombs were dropped, then
the entire world would vanish in a period of
hours.  Every man woman and child, every dog, cat
and rabbit, every hippo, camel and crocodile
would be wiped out, some lucky ones evaporated
instantly, others doomed to linger from the after
effects until a hideous death.  We read the
stories about Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the stories
that survivors told about exploding eyeballs and
sheets of burned skin peeling off, of bodies
floating in the river, of the shadows of human
beings cast forever on sidewalks.  It was the
nightmare of my generation.  It wasn't something
that came along after we were seasoned veterans
of the global politic, but it was what we teethed
on, what we accepted from the time we began to be
dimly aware of the world around us.  As we
learned there were other countries, we learned
that these countries would be melted by World War
III.  It was the ultimate in finality.

	"Calm down!  You're acting like it's World War III."

	The end of everything, right there on the
horizon, something that was as close as a misstep
by some night watchman who stood guard over the
button.  In his sleep, if he turned over and his
hand shot out, he could accidentally press the
button and end the world.  What we had to do in
order to have some faith that we would all be
here in five years was have some sort of faith in
the leadership of the United States and the
Soviet Union.  We had to believe that there
wouldn't be some nitty little issue over which
the two super powers would be arguing, when one
or the other had a fit of pique, launched an
attack and finished us all off.  One or the other
would start it, one missile headed for a
strategic city and then the other would launch
the retaliation, a hundred missiles aimed at a
hundred cities.  Of course, the first country
would send over the rest of their crop of bombs,
and that would be World War III, a conflict that
would never be written up in a history book.  No
poor student would ever have to memorize the
date.  There would be no dates from then on,
because dates are figments of the human
imagination, and there wouldn't be any humans
left to imagine anything.

	I had no faith in my country.  I
suspected the propaganda because nothing was as
evil as the Russians were made out to be.  There
were people there.  They all got up in the
morning and faced their days wanting to survive
them, just like we did.  I could not believe
there was a nation filled with wicked people who
all wanted me dead, who all wanted me to live
under communist domination, by conversion or
force.  Didn't it seem to me that my country was
just as bent on converting or forcing the
Russians to live the way we did?  I trusted
neither.  The leaders of the countries, in fact,
appeared to be duller than their citizenry.  They
were thugs, idiots, willing to burn the world to
save a face or two.

	So I lived in constant fear.  When a
plane went overhead, there was always the
possibility that it was carrying a bomb, the
initial bomb of World War III.  And every day I'd
wake up thinking that it could be the last.
Would we all make it through the day?  In school,
there were air raid drills.  The terrible sirens
would go off.  We were all rehearsed in the duck
and cover.  Stay away from the windows; they
could explode.  Get under your desk, protect your
head.  It was superstitious behaviour.  Even this
fourth grader knew that when the bombs came
blossoming, no desk could protect me.  It was
laughable.

	I used to shake, actual shivering, from
fear of everyone's imminent demise.  And I'd go
to bed at night feeling unsafe internationally as
well as familially.  If my father didn't get me,
then the Russians would.  In October of 1962, the
two ignorant nations locked horns over the Cuban
missile crisis.  It didn't matter who was right
or wrong.  I remember the pointlessness of people
arguing over who was in the right.  And how would
being right make a difference?  We were all let
out of school to go home to our families.  Right
or wrong, we were to be with our families when
the bombs went off.

	On television, the newscaster said, "Good
evening.  In a matter of hours, we could all be
in the middle of a nuclear war."  He smiled.

	A shudder went through all of us, except
for my Grandma Fannie, my mother's mother, who
was staying with us for a few days.  She was
practically nodding off in front of the T.V.
When it came time to go to bed, none of us kids
could sleep.  We all piled into my sister's room
where my grandmother was sleeping in one of the
beds.  I stared at the ceiling.  I shook all
over.  My sister moaned.  I couldn't figure out
if I wanted the light on or off.  Somewhere those
night watchmen in the United States and in Russia
were poising, their fingers over the special
little buttons.  They were waiting for a
telephone call from headquarters.

	I imagined the night watchmen.  They had
maybe wives and families.  Was there any chance
that both of them would hear the call to launch,
and decide to fold their hands in their laps,
saving the world?  How could a living thing press
that button?

	We rustled around under and on top of the
bed sheets, sighing, groaning, shivering.  My
grandma sat up in bed.

	"Go to sleep.  Nothing is going to happen."

	"How do you know?" I asked, my voice breaking.

	"Because I've been around a lot longer
than you have and I've seen it all.  Nothing is
going to happen."

	An ease settled in my heart.  But then I
shook it off.  "But what if you're wrong?

	"So sue me," she said.

	Nothing happened.  Krushchev was the
great peace maker.  He backed off of delivering
the missiles to Cuba.  Everyone exhaled, then
inhaled.  The night watchmen took their fingers
away from their buttons.  After a few hours, I
stopped shaking all over, and started worrying
about what my father was up to.

	The newscaster never showed his face again.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net