TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 181

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Mar 16 07:51:09 PDT 2007

March 16, 200000007

Dear Well Wishers,

	I thank you all for your letters
excoriating villainman for his ideas and actions.
It was a balm.  Now, I turn my attentions toward
Meyshe's upcoming IEP (Individual Educational
Program) meeting.  This will be his last IEP,
because after he graduates from high school, the
district will not be required to provide him
services.  The meeting will be about transition
to adult life after school, about college, and
about the progress he's made with the goals and
objectives decided upon at the last IEP.  At an
IEP, all the experts, therapists, teachers,
directors, caseworkers, district representatives,
parents and school personnel come to discuss the
student and come up with detailed plans.  The
last one was over a year ago, which means the
district is out of compliance.  Here's the rub.
Meyshe, being old enough to take part in his own
IEP is invited to be there.  Also, villainman is
going to attend.  Why he feels he is a legitimate
participant at the IEP is beyond me, since he
hasn't had any contact with Meyshe since June of
2004.  And especially in light of recent
revelations about his opinions on the direction
of Meyshe's future.  I don't want him there.  I
don't want to breathe the same air.  And what if
he's disruptive, proposing his, "put the kid in
the slammer", idea at the meeting?  We could
waste a lot of time.  The important thing is that
Meyshe doesn't want him there.  I wonder whether
Meyshe's desires can trump villainman's plan to
participate.

	I hope so.

                          

¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥
                            ‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

Active Children

	The three of us, Dana, Daniel and I were
what you would call active children.  Others
would have called us hyper-active.  But that
would be only if we were to be labelled recently.
When we were kids, there were no fancy pedigrees
like ADD, ADHD, OCD. OBD, bi-polar, tri-polar or
quadri-polar disorder.  There was no word for
dyslexia.  Those kids were just called, "Stupid",
and everyone went on with their lives, unanswered
questions in tact, the mysteries of the organism
still mysteries.  If you made it in school, well
fine then.  If you couldn't keep up, you were
slow or worse yet, retarded.  Kids who would be
diagnosed today with oppositional behaviour would
have been regarded as delinquent, troublemakers,
or just bad.  The teacher would send Michael or
Linda home from school for talking back,
resisting directions, running off, or just plain
fucking up.  The parents would wonder what they
had done wrong that produced this chid who was
always in trouble, always being sent to the
principal's office, or always behind all the
others in the class.  It was the parents' fault,
plain, simple.  The pendulum had swung all the
way to the nurture side of the world view, and
the nature viewpoint barely existed.  Now, of
course, it is the opposite.  Everything is
chemical, hormonal, inherited.  There is no room
for responsibility for one's behaviour.  It is
the fault of an ineradicable chromosome.  The
chromosomes made me do it.

	All of us Shapiros would have been
labelled as hyperactive, and we'd all have been
on medication to take us down a notch.  Would
that have been a good idea?  Or do we do these
things, ply our children with sedatives and
stimulants to regulate behaviour, so the children
fit into the class's schedule and the teacher's
tolerance level, so things will go smoothly and
not require too much of Miss Pennycamp?  We will
dispense Ritalin twice a day.  It moves through
the bloodstream quickly and exits your body
within hours.  No harm done.

	I have seen the miracles that Ritalin can
work when it's given to the needy child.  And
I've seen the drug dispensed to children who are
just who they are, active, fidgety, edgy little
beasts who require a lot of attention.  It's just
that no one can spare the time and energy to
lavish that attention on any student.  They want
them to behave.  Sit perfectly still for six
hours and learn at your desk.  So they drug them.

	Without pharmaceutical intervention, we
had our way with the world.  Going out to dinner
with us was a major undertaking.  My mother would
wind up frazzled and anxious, nervously looking
over at us as we conquered the world around us.
Unruly, undisciplined, loud, obstreperous,
impossible.  And since we were impossible, there
was something healthy about throwing up one's
hands and saying, "So be it".

	My parents took Dana and me to a
restaurant in Baltimore, Maryland.  I must have
been three, Dana five.  I remember this place.
We ate our dinners and couldn't sit still any
more.  Dana ran off to the bathroom with me in
tow.  I watched what she did and tried to learn
from her example.  First, she showed me how to
crawl under the stall doors and surprise the
patrons using the equipment.  There was a lot of,
"EEEEK!" and, "AAAAUGH!"  Then she showed me how
to go into a stall, lock the door and crawl back
under the door so the stall was empty but locked.
Out of commission.  She also taught me how very
long toilet paper rolls can be.  After using the
toilet, she grabbed the end of a roll of paper
and unfurled it, running from one end of the
bathroom to the other, under stalls ("EEEEK!"
"AAAAUGH!") around the room and out the door to
the dining area, the toilet paper streamer waving
in the air behind her.  "Wipe me!" she yelled as
she approached the table where my parents would
have preferred not to be recognized.  "Wipe me!"
I was caught up in the adventure of it all,
running beside or behind her, taking my part in
the high drama.  From the table, Dana ran back
into the bathroom where she accosted the recently
dethroned human beings who'd gone and let their
guard down since we'd been in there before.

	Crawling under the stalls, locking the
doors, careening through the dining room with
toilet paper unwinding behind her, the management
took my parents aside and asked them decently
never to come back.  This was an humiliation for
my mother, but it was  all lost on us.  We were
just behaving.  Not misbehaving, just behaving.
Funny thing was that when I followed my sister's
lead, we were kicked out of restaurants, stores,
movie theaters, meetings.  We chalked it up as
another instance of being able to take the reins
away from the adults.  She was masterful.  I was
a pipsqueak.  My mother tells the story about
being instructed never to come back as long as
they lived.  She winces even now.  And no one
reached for the Ritalin, or the mood elevators,
or even the electro-shock treatments.  I hear
they can work wonders!

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA