TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 177

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Mar 12 08:38:24 PDT 2007

March 12, 20000007

Dear deep in my bones,

	It's Alex again.  Feyna's friend, Alex.
He and Natalie (and Feyna makes the threesome)
are planning a trip to Tijuana.  When are they
planning it?  On Passover.  Feyna wants to go.
But of course she doesn't have the money for
plane fare, and she asked to borrow it.  I told
her she already owes me close to a hundred fifty
dollars and I'm not loaning her any more,
especially to go the Mexico when she should be
helping make the Passover meal.  We're having
something like seventeen people over.  Oh, Feyna
went up and down about how she would try to get
back by the afternoon of the big family Seder.
But the first night, which is the most important,
is on the 2nd, and she's not planning on being
back until the 3rd.  I told her her place is with
her family.  And besides I'm not loaning her
money.  She thought maybe my mother would.  I
told her she wouldn't.  She even went into trying
to convince me because Alex had gone to such
trouble to try to get reservations and work it so
that Feyna could go with them.  He may have spent
hours.  I was unimpressed.  I told her I didn't
care what work Alex had put into it.  It had
nothing to do with him.  Why don't you care? She
asked.  Why?  She was belligerent.  But I was
pretty stiff myself.

	Not on Passover.  No.  And not so that
the whole task of cooking for seventeen people is
left up to my mother who will be 87 and me.

	But I may never get a chance to go to
Tijuana again with them.  Also, Alex, it seems,
HAS to go to Tijuana for some reason.  He lived
in Mexico for five years, speaks fluent Spanish.
But why does he HAVE to go there?  Can anyone
tell me this?

	And tomorrow is Feyna and Meyshe's birthday.  Whoopie.

                                      ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

ççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççç

Pregnant with twins

	I've heard that every pregnancy is
different, but I've had only one and it was not
easy.  They tagged me as a high risk pregnancy on
several counts.  First was my age.  I was almost
thirty nine when I conceived.  Next was the fact
that it was twins.  That always complicates
things.  Wait.  There's more.  I had chronic
urinary tract problems, was prone to bladder
infections that backed up into my kidneys giving
me pyelonephritis, and I was allergic to a broad
spectrum of antibiotics.  There were only a few I
could take, and none of the ones I could take
orally was good for a kidney infection.  This
meant that if the pregnancy should put pressure
on the urinary tract, which it was guaranteed to
do, in such a way that it resulted in a bladder
infection which in turn backed up into my
kidneys, I would be in the hospital taking I.V.s
of some antibiotic to which I was not allergic.
They would watch over my pregnancy very
carefully, because they didn't want to lose me or
the babies.

	That created a pretty grim back drop.
But for the first couple months or so, I was
positively giddy as a school girl.  I was
laughing, acting up, doing the things that little
girls do to amuse themselves, like swinging my
legs when I was sitting on a bench, doing silly
dances, making faces, squirming with pleasure.
It was remarkable.  I felt like a cartoon,
bouncing around ecstatically, my arms and legs so
loose it felt like they might unhinge and run
away by themselves.  David didn't know how to
deal with this because he required a certain
amount (a deadly amount) of decorum.  There was
no decorum in my first trimester.

	I did get cravings.  Odd cravings.  I
started heating up a glass of milk, a green
plastic glass on a thick stem, in the microwave.
Then I'd stir honey and vanilla into it.  This
was the most delicious thing I'd ever tasted.
But it needed a balance.  It was sweet.  I needed
salt.  So I'd buy gallon jars of Clausen half
kosher dill pickles and I'd fish one out of the
jar, wrap it up in a paper towel and stand there
in the doorway to the bedroom drinking my honey
milk and eating my crispy, garlicky, salty
pickle.  Then one pickle was not enough.  I
wrapped two pickles in the paper towel.  Soon the
two didn't do it, and I was standing in the
doorway with a big glass of warm honey milk in my
right hand and three Clausen half kosher dill
pickles wrapped in a paper towel in the other.
It took a while before it dawned on me that,
except for the temperature, I was eating pickles
and ice-cream.

	Then came the fat craving.  Meat fat:
the ribbon of fat on the outside of a lamb chop,
the fat imbedded in a prime rib of beef, the
layers of fat enclosed in a good piece of tripe.
Not oil, not butter, but fat.  I'd hang over my
prime rib when we went out to dinner and admonish
David, "Better look away now.  I'm going to eat
the fat."  He'd wince and turn his head while I
sliced up the slab of hot fat, as if it were a
pie, and chewed on it, tasting whatever it was my
craving demanded I taste, before swallowing it
all down.  "Eating for three," I'd say, wiping
the grease off my lips.

	There was nausea, too, what is referred
to as, "morning sickness," but there was no
specific time when it liked to trespass on my
day.  Morning, mid morning, late morning, noon,
early afternoon, mid afternoon, late afternoon,
early evening, evening and middle of the night
sickness.  Unfortunately, there was no vomiting
which might have relieved me some, but from my
days as a bulimic, I acquired a revulsion at
vomiting that was worse than the nausea that
brought it on.  I'd lie there whatever time of
day it was, trying not to moan.  It might have
scared David's boys.  There on my back, the tide
of nausea would rise and recede, rise and recede,
and then suddenly disappear, being replaced by a
desire for hot honey milk and pickles.  The
sickness was short lived in my first trimester,
way before I began to show.  In fact, I didn't
look remotely pregnant.  My stomach was flat and
my breasts hadn't blossomed yet.  No one could
tell that Feyna and Meyshe were growing inside of
me: about the size of a walnut, but growing.

	We hadn't told anybody but my parents.
Until this was a sure and secure pregnancy, we
didn't want to let the boys know.  They would
naturally tell their mother, and she would freak
out in some awful way that would wind up being
dumped on them, some jealous fit, a new round of
complaints through her lawyer.  But when the call
came from the clinic that did the chorionic
villus biopsy that the twins were both in
excellent genetic shape, a girl and a boy, we
announced the news to Alex and Ben.  Alex looked
like he was going to throw a tantrum.  He was
thirteen.  Ben, eleven, got up from his chair and
wandered around the room.  "I can't believe it.
Somehow I thought everything would always stay
the same."  Neither was enormously happy about
this.  A single baby brother or sister would have
been a huge adjustment.  But twins!  You just
can't compete for attention with twins.

	We wanted to get married as soon as
possible, but David's wife was stalling.  There
was always some piece of financial pettiness in
the way.  So the lawyers bifurcated the issues.
All she had to do was to agree to the divorce or
contest the divorce .  She couldn't very well
contest it.  She was living with Richard Katz,
the ex friend of David's, the one with the shit
eating grin.  I predicted that Vicki would wait
until the last possible moment, and then sign it.
I was right.  In September,  right at the
deadline, she signed the papers.  David went down
to the courthouse to put his hand on a Bible and
say, "I don't," and we planned our wedding.  We
had two weeks.  It was quiet, in my parents'
living room, with very few guests.  I wore the
same dress I'd worn at my first wedding with
Dweller.  I had called him up and asked
permission.  Yvonne, Earl, Alex and Ben held the
posts of the Chuppah.  I walked around David
seven times.  We read our vows to each other.  He
promised to protect the marriage from the ravages
of complacency.  (He broke his promise.)

	We planned a honeymoon in Maine.  It was
early October.  All the inns were filled.  It
took a while before someone in Maine informed me
that that was the week of the Fall Foliage
Festival.  So I had to employ some push,
something convincing to shoot us to the top of
the priority list.  As I called each place, I
didn't know whether to tell them it was our
honeymoon, or that I was pregnant with twins.
Which would win us a good room?  Should I also
tell them that I'd had a miserable childhood?
Oh, give it a rest.

	David's parents had come down from
Seattle for the wedding and were staying in
David's house.  We moved out to the Durant Hotel
in Berkeley for that night.  We would leave for
Maine the next morning.  I was four months
pregnant and not showing.  I crawled into the
hotel bed and when I tried to lie down on my
stomach, I felt pressure.  It was as if I'd had a
skeet ball in my belly.  It was uncomfortable.
So started the sleeping on my side.

	In the fifth month of my pregnancy I came
down with a raging kidney infection.  Off to the
hospital to be pumped full of Gentomycin.  What I
remember most vividly from my hospital stay was
the food.  I was in the maternity ward.  The tiny
little trays of petite meals they served us were
a joke.  We were all pregnant women.  We could
and probably should have been eating monumental
amounts of food.  What's this?  A chicken leg and
a tablespoon of peas?  One miniature French roll,
and one pat of butter?  Fie on ye!  What was the
matter with these people?  I had my family bring
in contraband food so I could satisfy my hunger,
which was prodigious.  I felt sorry for my
starving room mates, most of them further along
than I was.

	After the kidney infection, the doctors
watched me like a hawk.  They sent me home with a
high tech monitor that I strapped to my belly,
which was becoming round.  Very round.  The
monitor relayed to the doctors information they
needed to know about the state of the fetuses:
the state of my womb address.  What we learned
from this was that whenever I rose to my feet and
started running around, I was getting
contractions.  So to be safe, they had me in a
wheelchair.  I was not to get up and twirl around
anymore.  It was okay.  I didn't feel like
twirling.  My twirling days were done.

	The boys would vie over who would get to
push the wheelchair.  They both liked to give me
a shove and then let go on a downhill slope.
This produced some agitation.  They'd wait until
the last moment to run ahead, grab onto the
handles of the wheelchair and bring the thing to
a stop before I got tossed out into an
intersection.  They thought this was great fun.
It filled me with anxiety.

	The name of the game, in fact, was
anxiety.  Legal grenades were being lobbed from
Vicki's half of the court.  And personal time
bombs.  She told the boys that they didn't love
her.

	"Yes, we do, Mom!"

	"No, you don't.  If you love them, then
you don't love me, and if you don't love me, then
I don't love you."

	This was dynamite.  There was havoc in
the home.  New custody grenades, new
psychological bombs.  My blood pressure went up.
My nerves were shot.  I was being pressed to the
limit.  Daily recountings of the news from the
lawyer was my bread and butter.  As I'd been
giddy in the first months of being pregnant, now
I was in tears, angstful, distraught.  What kind
of family was I bringing my twins into?  Both
boys were at war with me for having upset the
balance.  My gynecologist told me to leave the
scene.  Get away from the stress.  Go stay with a
friend.  I had no friend that I could stay with.
I moved in with my parents.  A different kind of
stress.

	In my seventh month, huge, over huge, a
beach ball with twigs sticking out of it, we
bought a bigger house and moved into it.  It was
the easiest move I ever made.  Everyone else did
all the work.  I just sat in my wheelchair
saying, "Put it over there."  And the last months
of my fascinating pregnancy were spent lolling on
my left side with a pillow between my knees,
watching old reruns of night time soap operas,
trying to rise to a standing position, walking
with a cane inside the house and being wheeled in
a wheelchair outside.  I was bursting.  I was
ready.  I was done.  But no signs of labour
arrived.  The twins were late.  Late for twins:
thirty nine and a half weeks, when twins are
generally expected at thirty six weeks.  I was
truly and properly huge.  I was frightening to
behold, a skinny little woman with a mound of
clay mounted on her belly the size of a planet.
It took two able bodied men to pull me out of a
chair.

	The C-section could not have come too
soon.  Meyshe and Feyna, their legs and arms
tangled together, were lifted from my sliced
planet and cried their first cry of realization
at 8:00 and 8:01 on Friday morning the thirteenth
of March.  I was green.  A photograph taken of me
after the delivery showed me to be green.

ççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççç
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net