TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 174

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Mar 9 08:06:57 PST 2007

March 9, 200000000000007

Dear Favourite Things,

	In my dream I came across a pile of
jackets that were supposed to be mine from
another era in my life.  I looked at each one,
trying to find a hanger for each (failing).  Each
jacket was absolutely, definitively NOT something
I would have chosen and bought.  They were
little, so they must have belonged to me when I
was still growing up.  But there is no way that
they were mine.  Where did they come from, then?
I called my mother over to try to solve the
mystery.  I explained to her that I'd found these
on the bed, but couldn't figure out where they
came from.  "Would we ever buy something like
this?"  I showed her a fuzzy woolen jacket with
pictures of snow men on it, snow men and skiers,
snowflakes and Christmas tree candy canes.  She
looked at it and agreed that we never would have
gotten it.  "How about this?"  I showed her a
down jacket with pale blue rip stop cloth that
had a little apron on it. "No.  We wouldn't have
gotten that."  Each one, she agreed we wouldn't
have purchased, but the mystery never got closer
to being solved.  In fact, she thought of reasons
that the pile of jackets had wound up on my bed
that were congruent with my having owned them at
some time.  I woke up frustrated.  What the heck
does the jacket dream mean?

                               ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                              ‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘
                             ‡¸‡¸‡¸‡¸‡¸‡¸‡¸‡¸‡¸‡¸‡¸‡¸‡¸‡¸‡¸‡¸‡¸‡¸‡¸‡¸‡¸‡

The Eastern Cure

	While I was connected to Harry Lum, I was
heavily influenced by things Chinese.  It was
natural for me, actually, because of my great
Aunt Anne and great Uncle Kuo, the family
luminaries.  While Anne was living in China
learning not to return the soup with the dead fly
floating in it, she sent things back to San
Francisco.  My grandparents' house was filled
with Chinese art and handicrafts.  It was so
pervasive that, as a child, I missed it.  It was
just part of the background.  Then one day, for
some unknown reason, my eyes would refocus on the
little doily sitting under the telephone, and I'd
see that it was an hexagonal piece of Chinese
embroidery with the tiniest stitches you can
imagine, a beautiful piece of artwork, lying
under the phone.  Or a picture on the wall would
suddenly wake me up and I'd realize it was a
Chinese painting with calligraphy falling down
the side.  Little figurines turned out to be jade
sculpture.  I was surrounded by that, and Jewish
artifacts like Mezuzot, Mennorahs, paintings of
scenes in the holy land, Hebrew lettering in blue
enameled metal saying, "Shalom".  We ate our
matzo ball soup with chopsticks.

	So when Harry came into my life, I was
already at home with much of his culture.  What
was Harry's culture?  Well, he was born in 1930
and was raised in Chinatown in tenements.  The
whole family worked hard to keep themselves fed,
clothed and with the substandard roof over their
heads.  He grew up speaking English in school and
the outside world, and Cantonese at home.  But as
he left his family and pursued art school, he
forgot much of his Cantonese, and spoke haltingly
to his mother on the phone.  He'd be going along
at a clip, then hit a word he didn't know and
have to toss in some English:

	"Cantonese, Cantonese, Cantonese,
Cantonese, mattress, Cantonese, Cantonese . . ."
I picked up some language, but his English was so
much more sophisticated than mine that I'd have
done well to study English with him.  We'd go out
to a Chinese restaurant and order from the
Chinese menu, but he would have to ask what the
characters said.  Then I'd use chopsticks and
he'd use a fork.  I never knew whether he did
that for the irony, or because he preferred it.
He was chauvinistic about the Chinese culture,
and no people compared well to his own, except
maybe the Jews.  The sciences and the arts,
invention and ingenuity were all superior in
their Chinese element than anyone else's.  So
when I had endometriosis and western medicine
could do nothing for me, he suggested I see a
Chinese doctor.  He called his mother to get
recommendations.  If I were going to see a
Chinese doctor, I should see the real animal, not
some honky wannabee who took a weekend workshop
and hung a shingle.

	His mother directed us to Dr. Wong who
lived in the east bay, in Berkeley in fact.  Dr.
Wong was operating illegally.  He had no western
doctor supervising him.  He worked out of the
basement rooms in a huge mansion on Arch Street.
One got to Dr. Wong only by word of mouth.  His
patients were mostly white: golden star struck
believers in the ancient ways, desperate people
who had exhausted all hopes in western medicine
and sought out the cure to all their ails in the
mysteries of the orient, people who had abandoned
their faith in western ways and fell eastward,
anything to the east.  According to the reports I
had gotten, Dr. Wong had sat on a mountain top
somewhere for twenty years, meditating, emanating
a glow, and was a grand lama.  I hadn't the
foggiest notion what that meant, but it sounded
impressive.  He was no ingenue.  Dr. Wong was a
diminutive man with puffy eyes and pointy
eyebrows.  He looked directly into your eyes as
he spoke in incomprehensible English.  His accent
was so thick and his English so minimal that you
got tired of saying, "What?", and after a while
just said, "Okay."  "Yes."  "Doctor knows best."
And he did.

	The first time I came to him, he motioned
for me to present my arm to him.  He wrapped his
fingers around my wrist and took my pulse, or at
least that's what it seemed like he was doing.
Then he reached for the other arm and took my
pulse again.  Wisdom had it that he had actually
taken my pulse four times, lightly and firmly on
each wrist, and upon the information gleaned from
that reading he would base his diagnosis.  He
pondered my wrists, closed his eyes.  When he
opened them, he had found out what he needed.  He
didn't interview me and ask what seemed to be the
matter.  He told me what my symptoms were, having
heard not a word from my mouth.  He told me
things about my body that I wouldn't even bother
telling a physician because he (in those days, it
was mostly he) wouldn't consider it a symptom
worth bothering about.  Wong told me that my
periods were irregular, that I didn't shit, that
my skin was dry, my temperature and energy low,
and I suffered from pain during menstruation.  He
said everything was clogged.  Evidently he could
unclog me.  I was to come twice a week.  He would
accept me as a patient.

	Then there were those needles.  He
practised a form of acupuncture that did not
involve keeping the needles in and twirling them.
Sounds good.  What he did was insert the needle
and then pull it out, insert it elsewhere, then
pull it out.  He did this until he was done.  The
first time he treated me, I was all congested
with a cold.  I couldn't breathe.  He had me lie
still and worked his needles on my eyebrows and
near my eyes.  I stiffened up.  It was all I
could do to remain motionless.  Just don't get
near my eyes.  Don't mess with my eyes.  After a
minute or so, he stepped back.  He pantomimed
breathing deeply through his nose and nodded at
me to do so.  I did so.  All the mucus was gone.
It had disappeared.  Where did it go?  I was
amazed.  Another time, after he took my pulses,
he asked when I'd last had a bowel movement.  I
told him five days.  His eyebrows arched up and
his eyes popped out.  He measured a distance with
his thumbs from the widest point of my pelvic
bone in towards my center, on either side.  Then
he pressed his thumbs on those two measured spots
and leaned into me with considerable force.  He
said, "Better."  I went home and gave birth to an
eight foot long turd that had the consistency of
damp bread (sourdough French).  I began to have
some faith in this weird little man.

	Harry commented that he expected as much
of a good Chinese doctor, so far superior to
western doctors.  He quoted a saying Chinese
doctors had about their work.  "A good doctor
prevents disease.  A fair doctor treats imminent
disease.  A poor doctor treats disease."  He told
me about the traditional respected instruction
manual on Chinese medicine which was five
thousand years old.  So?  This in and of itself
was no argument in favour of Chinese medicine.
But it sounded good.  The idea was that
physicians were all pip squeaks, green behind the
ears, their methods too young and crude to be
trusted.  Well, no.  Western doctors had their
five thousand year old instruction manuals.  They
were just hacked into stone and involved a lot of
amputation, trepanation, and applying mashed
amphibians to the site of the trouble.  Five
thousand years did not convince me.

	What did convince me was what worked.
Wong would get out his array of needles that he
cooked in alcohol, and he'd poke around
precisely.  Then he'd write out a prescription
for Chinese herbs.  I took this prescription to
Chinatown and watched the herbalist pull out
wooden drawers from the wall of a thousand
drawers and fetch a piece of this and a handful
of that.  He'd weigh it on a hand held scale and
assemble the potion on a piece of butcher paper.
There was actually less mystery to the Chinese
herbs than there was to a physician's
prescription.  With the illegible Rx you bring to
a drug store, the pharmacist hands you a
container filled with round white pills.  You
don't know what the fuck is in them.  There are a
lot of pretty evil white powders, after all.  But
we go home and swallow these things, trusting in
the illegible signature of the holy doctor.  With
Chinese herbs, you saw exactly what you were
going to ingest: the exoskeletons of bugs,
pieces of bark, the skins of insects, dried
vegetable matter.  It was obvious.

	The directions were easy.  Take home the
bundle of herbs.  Put them in a pan and pour
three Chinese soup bowls of water over it.  Boil
the whole thing until there is only one soup bowl
left.  Then do the undrinkable --  swallow it, as
hot as you can stand it.  The elixir that
resulted was vile.  No.  I mean really vile.  The
taste cannot be described.  I will not try,
except to say that my throat did not recognize it
as anything edible and refused to take it in.  My
throat actually closed up, said, "No," and I
couldn't swallow it.  After several attempts, I
finally persuaded my body to allow the poison
into my system.  I gagged.  But damn, if the
stuff didn't work!  My menstrual cycle evened
out.  The pain lessened.  I shit on a regular
basis.  My skin moistened.  Unfortunately, I was
still a neurotic mess.

	It was eerie seeing Dr. Wong.  I just
felt like I was part of some sneaky infomercial,
a testimonial filmed to lure the gullible into
investing their fortunes in a snake oil
salesman's hands.  I'd sit there in the waiting
room, reading a book.  The door would open, and a
satisfied customer would come walking out saying,
"Sure is nice not to have to use that cane!"

	Sign me up for the deluxe treatments!
Here.  Take my money.  Cure me.  Cure me.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net