TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 173

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Thu Mar 8 07:28:01 PST 2007

March 8, 200007

Dear Oh dear,

	I have a long list of people that I've
written down as possible clients for Feyna.
Part of her whole presentation is the culling of
recommendations for new customers.  She handed me
an official form with numbers going down the page
and lines to fill in with names and telephone
numbers.  The list has a box next to each name.
The box gets checked when the person you've
listed says, "Sure, fine, send that woman over to
us for a demonstration."  This is the only way
Feyna will stay afloat in this job, because they
don't give her leads to customers.  She has to
find them herself.  I went through my address
book and wrote down the names of anybody I
thought would be remotely amenable.  I called
quite a few, and naturally, they weren't in so I
left messages on their answering machines.  But
there were some I didn't have the energy to call.
These were the people I haven't spoken to since
villainman walked out on us.  I just didn't want
to have to go through the whole revelation again.
"Oh, Tobie!  How are you!?  What's new?  How's
David?"   "Oh, him.  Welllllll, . . . "

	I feel like such a coward.  Then, on the
other hand, I will get around to it.

	When?

                                ©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©

Coupling

	All the stories you read about sex leave
a whole lot out.  Even the confessionals are
mostly about with whom, where and with what.

	"Colonel Mustard, in the library, with a candlestick."

	The acts of sex are gripping and
explosive.  Two urgent individuals longing for
unison finally consummate their consuming
passions.  They wrap each other up in their arms
and legs and they make love intensely, both
sighing and groaning, finally lying exhausted,
the act done, the race to the finish over.  The
scene comes in a dazzling array of
configurations.  There is a lot of heaving,
rolling, thrusting, caressing, many superlatives.

	But I have a different story.  My first
introductions to sex were my mother's scientific
explanations.  They included charts, diagrams,
unabashed use of the full Latin names for body
parts, flow charts, arrows and a question and
answer period.  I learned all about what made
babies, even how babies were formed, and what
they busied themselves with in the uterus for
nine long months.  My mother had been inspired to
explain procreation in this straight forward way
by her own experience with her mother who was
silent about the whole thing.  Even when she was
in college, she still thought the sperm crawled
across the sheets to make their entrance into the
land of Ovum.  So she would tell us everything,
without the shame and without the euphemisms.  We
would know, from her genuine talk, what she had
to learn by banging her head on the medical
school diagrams and looking at them cross eyed.

	She did well.  I understood all the facts
about reproduction.  But she left out the part
about the longing and surge of hormones, the
expression of love, the shared experience that
kept people coming back for more, everything that
made birth control necessary.

	My conception of the act was that when
you wanted to have a baby, the man and woman
would get undressed and stand behind a door, or
any other secretive location, and do what had to
be done.  The man would put his delivery system
into the woman's receiving port and impregnate
her.  When they were done, they could go about
their business again, of course apologizing for
the inconvenience, and bizarre method.  But nine
months later, you'd have your foetus, and you
wouldn't have to have anything to do with the
unseemly process until you wanted another child.

	It was my friend, Susan Mearns, who told
me that people did this because they loved each
other.  I refused to believe it.  Why would any
two people who loved each other go through the
contortions, and do something so disgusting?
This had to be phony baloney.  I went to ask my
mother.

	"Do people do that thing where you make a
baby because they love each other?  I mean, do
they really want to do it?"

	She was taken aback for a second.  Not
for long, but I could see it in her eyes, that
flash of, "Uh oh".  "Yes," she answered.  "They
do it because they love each other."

	I walked away sickened.  I tried to
imagine that somewhere in all the fighting, my
mother loved my father.  I couldn't conjure it.
Too revolting.  Susan and I drew a series of
pictures, or, that is, she dictated to me what to
draw, and I drew it, since I was the artist
between the two of us.  She had been turned off
of art because her father was Walter Keane.  You
know the paintings of little children with their
huge round eyes, one tear rolling down a cheek?
That was her father's millions.

	So Susan said, "Draw a woman lying down
on her back.  Now draw a man sitting on her with
his legs outside of her legs.  Now make them both
smile."

	They smiled.

	"No, you should have the man holding his thing so it stays inside."

	I erased his arms and redrew them.  He held his thing.

	"Good."

	And that was sex according to the sixth
grade whiz kids who, between them, knew the
technicalities and the human side of procreation.
This was unsatisfactory, though.  It didn't
answer my big question.  Why was sex so filthy?
Why did my father make crude jokes about breasts
and penises and women's holes and hair that made
my mother reprimand him, grit her teeth and take
him into the next room for an argument?  Why did
he think it was so dirty, and embarrassing, and
why did his face turn red when he mentioned it?
Why did he suddenly start talking to us, his
pre-pubescent girls, announcing, "This brings me
back to my first sexual experience."  And then he
was in the next room with my mother for another
argument.  When he came back, he started all over
again and described a woman that he took
advantage of, but made a point of saying that he
was very clear to her that he wasn't in love with
her, and if she got pregnant, he wouldn't marry
her.  Dana and I were chewing our dinner.  My
mother was chewing her tongue.

	Why was sex so awful?  It sounded
revolting, but why was it awful?  My mother and
her diagrams with the arrows and flow charts told
of a matter of fact, but fascinating scientific
phenomenon.  But she wasn't the only influence.
There were the lessons from my father which were
of subjugation, degradation and dirtiness.

	Then there was the intense interest he
had in my female parts, the comments he would
make about me as a girl, and the way he bumped
into me with his hand held out to his side that
just happened to brush up against my bottom.
This was also an influence in my learning about
sex and what it was good for.

	I dreaded starting my periods.  I was
scared to death.  As it was, I was a target, and
I was a cylinder.  What would happen when I
developed and became a woman, acquired a womanly
shape and couldn't hide it?  Would I have to fend
off the men who, according to my father, were
interested only in screwing me, and would do
anything, lie, cheat, steal, plot and  lie in
wait, to do so?

	I remained a fierce virgin way past when
everyone around me at college was on birth
control pills.  I resisted feeling anything when
a boyfriend kissed me.  And I wouldn't let them
touch me, unless I faked being asleep.  I'd wake
up before anything below the waist happened.  And
I'd feel soiled, guilty, like I had an unnatural
and filthy drive to do a revolting thing,
something my mother had to do with my father,
probably when he won an argument.

	After the first love making with Arthur
Glickman, I shut down all systems and couldn't
feel anything during sex.  The kissing and
caressing all went fine, but if there were
penetration, I'd go numb.  Suddenly, I would be
counting the seconds until my partner was done.
It just didn't feel good.  It didn't feel bad.
It just didn't feel like anything, and I wanted
it to stop.  It was futile to work towards a
climax.  I was removed from the experience,
observing it from far away.  If there were
anything I thought I wanted, I would never say
so.  There was never any talking.  I musn't
instruct the man on what to do.  First of all,
that would let on that I actually had desires,
which would be filthy of me, a sure sign that I
had a part in asking for my father's abuse, and
secondly, I was supposed to accept whatever my
partner did, without my advice, as all that sex
had to offer.  I was gagged.

	Even so, I kept looking for the magic
partner, someone who would bring to me an intense
and loving joining, like the sex everyone talked
about having, the sex everyone seemed to be
focussed on having.  They were all luxuriating in
pleasure and oneness, while the best I could do
was try to think about something else while I was
having it.  If I didn't, then my mind would fill
to bloating with self criticism and weary
expectation, narratives of what it should feel
like, and what would be happening if I were
normal.  I was disappointed in the whole
business, shame and all.  I shouldn't want it,
but I should enjoy it.  I should know how to
reach orgasm no matter what my partner was doing.
And somewhere in there, there should be a magical
meeting of bodies and souls.  It would lift me
out of my horrendous childhood and prove that
someone could love me.

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net